New toaster required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Right, I've had a look, l want a sturdy metal bodied toaster made in UK/USA. I don't want a manky plastic toaster "designed/crafted/imagined" in the UK/USA...... but made in China.

Problem, l don't want to pay Dualit prices, but will do if there is no alternative. Is there?

Last edited:

sheddy

Legendary Member

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Great toast in a jiffy
Dualit toasters often come with a high price, and the Dualit Lite 2 Slot 26205 is no different. It has several fancy features, though, including a bagel setting that will toast just the cut side of your bagel without heating the crust. But is it quick, easy to use and does it make great toast? Our expert review reveals all you need to know about this toaster.
Toasts very quickly and evenly, excellent browning coverage, easy to use
Laborious to clean
We love this toaster. It's an update of the older DPP2 model, and sailed straight to the top of our leader board when we put it through our tough toasting tests. It makes slice after slice of evenly browned toast, and is really quick and simple to use.

...say Which about this toaster, their best-rated one. Less metal than the full fat Dualits, but there again, many squids less moneys too.

wonderloaf

Veteran
We've had two Dualit toasters in the past, both went back because the heating elements stop working very shortly after purchase, so not too impressed with their quality control. Luckily we bought from John Lewis so getting money back wasn't a problem. Had a De Longhi for the last few years which although looks good and is reliable takes forever to toast the bread and won't make my toast 'well done' enough.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I don't get why anyone wants to spend more than £40 on something that just toasts bread...
Other family members have Dualit toasters (bro merchandises them for JL and insisted on spending my money on one for the parents) and they just seem over engineered and complicated for something that just toasts bread!
The Smeg ones look nice aesthetically (unlike Dualit)...but £130 for a two slice toaster...seriously!?

My £30 Russell Hobbs still toasts simply and well after years of use :rolleyes:

Dualit kettles are pointless too (again I had to put my hand in my pocket for one to go with the toaster)...you can't fill them up if they'd are still warm...stoopid!

Rant over :laugh:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
For many a year we made do with cheap plastic fantastic toasters and kettles.

When we redid the kitchen we went down the Dualit road. Admittedly my niece worked in a John Lewis at the time, so we got her staff discount, but they are worth every penny in my opinion.

We went for the architect range, though we don’t have the add on panels.

My mother in law saw what we’d bought, and she’s not one to be outdone, but they bought an odd one that has some sort of clockwork setting for toasting, and a lever to pop the toast.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
@Bonefish Blues, l looked at that model but......it is definitely way cheaper looking & feeling that the better ones. I may go for it but can see me ending up forking out £150. Crazy really, my choice is mainly limited to manky sub £30 toasters or £150+ ones.

Not buying Logik anything, same as Russell Hobbs, Breville etc Good looking but terrible Chinese build quality with plastic chromed buttons. I have standards...

Globalti

Legendary Member
How I hate those hotel breakfast toasters where the bread travels through on a mesh conveyor and drops out still un-toasted. They are annoying and extremely wasteful and I bet they've been responsible for a few fires over the years.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I am happy to pay a premium for a durable, good looking & well engineered product.

I've looked at Dualit a bit more and read a load of reviews, the fact that you can order any spare part and fit them yourself was a surprise and swings it for me.

A trip to John Lewis & the pub the afternoon.:okay:

Venod

Eh up
Just binned a metal bodied toaster (think it was a Hitachi) replaced it with Russel Hobbs cheap one, the main criteria for Mrs Afnug was it had to be black to match the kettle, it was £19.99 from B&M, the toast tastes just the same as it did in the old one.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm a great believer In buying the best you can reasonably afford, when possible. But over £120 for a Dualit would make me blanch a bit.
The flip side, we had a Dualit which was well used at my former employers and had occasion to replace a coup,e of elements, it should hold no fear for someone moderately handy...based on my experience.

Top Bottom