New toaster required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
We bought a Dualit toaster 12 years ago after getting fed up with buying a new cheapie toaster every year and binning it. They toast much hotter than a conventional toaster, so not only are they quick but the texture of toast is very different (the centre stays moist).

One element failed after a couple of years but the elements are designed to be user-replaceable by any moderately competent person, so that cost a few pounds from Ebay and some minutes with a screwdriver. Nothing else has gone wrong since.

There's no pop-up mechanism to fail (it's just a lever) and the only other mechanical parts are the clockwork timer and on/off switch. Our timer is still going strong but again it is user-replaceable.

I doubt there are many 12 year old household appliances that you can still get spare parts for and fix yourself. It's why they're popular in caffs,

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our current toaster is over 35 years old and cost up about a fiver from Argos in Belfast. Still going strong.
And its still as good as new. Still takes 25 minutes for a slice and its still 60% done.....but it was only a fiver ^_^.
Thats a joke btw.

Dayvo

just passin' through
This is what you need:

th?id=OIP.wybJRul1HEEY5q4sSg8rvQHaJ4&pid=15.jpg

Al fresco breakfasts (dinners?) every day!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Still works as it should. It toasts bread. Not exactly rocket science. :smile:
Ahh but does it......
Do bagels?
Offer 17 shades of brown?
Cater for slices up to 3" thick?
Have super popup option
And most important......
Does it come with 15 colour choices?
Sir, I rest my case.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Buy cheap by twice. Our Dualit lite is very old!
No. Had a cheap toaster for years, it toasted bread just fine. gave up the ghost after a zillion slices. Bought another cheap toaster (had to match the kitchen apparently), has done a zillion slices, going fine. I can afford an expensive toaster but they're over engineered and thus over priced for what is a very simple process. It's a Breville Impressions, currently retails for £27

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
No. Had a cheap toaster for years, it toasted bread just fine. gave up the ghost after a zillion slices. Bought another cheap toaster (had to match the kitchen apparently), has done a zillion slices, going fine. I can afford an expensive toaster but they're over engineered and thus over priced for what is a very simple process. It's a Breville Impressions, currently retails for £27
That's just profligate!

If you don't find any suitable sub £50 toasters then I think this Magimix transparent, glass and metal one is vastly better than Dualit , not least since the transparency is genuinely useful, rather than merely a gimic. Nice and heavy and well-built in Europe.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I had a 6-slot Dualit for 30 years, free from a hospital skip. The ex kept it when we split up ... still going strong, as far as I know ... and toaster is too :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We have a stainless steel Morphy Richards 44460 two slice toaster. It's refreshingly free of all that tediously bogus Mid-West diner styling that seems to be plastered all over the current models.
I toasts bread. That's good enough.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
We have a stainless steel Morphy Richards 44460 two slice toaster. It's refreshingly free of all that tediously bogus Mid-West diner styling that seems to be plastered all over the current models.
I toasts bread. That's good enough.

Not good enough for me, most pants will cover my legs but l am not wearing manky, ill fitting, cheap ones.....

We bought a Dualit, l was moaning about the £149 to MrsF (Hoping she would offer something towards it) when she reminded me that we spend about that on a Saturday on the piss anyway.^_^

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Best toaster I ever had:

old-toaster_1510723i.jpg

Morphy Richards, needless to say.

I lovingly restored my example, bought from a jumble sale with second one for spares. A few years later, the boss bought a completely unnecessary replacement that cost ten times as much and made toast that wasn't nearly as good.

Top Bottom