New toaster required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Interesting thread for me. I was saying to Mrs D just a few weeks ago..... we have been married over 50 years and never had a toaster that will toast a full slice evenly-all over. Our present one is a Tefal and is a pain (nearly a pun there :smile:) as I have to stop part way through and turn the slice around.
But for maybe 5 slices of toast per week I cant bring myself to spend £50+.
Wifes cousin just got one from Morrisons on offer.. a whole £5.00 and she says its brill.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Interesting thread for me. I was saying to Mrs D just a few weeks ago..... we have been married over 50 years and never had a toaster that will toast a full slice evenly-all over. Our present one is a Tefal and is a pain (nearly a pun there :smile:) as I have to stop part way through and turn the slice around.
But for maybe 5 slices of toast per week I cant bring myself to spend £50+.
Wifes cousin just got one from Morrisons on offer.. a whole £5.00 and she says its brill.
Tesco 2 Slice Toaster 2TSS15review
83%

Which they say this is the best cheaper toaster - well up with the premium brands. Looks smart, too

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/286725027?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+|+Shopping+GSC+|+All+Products+++Tesco+Brand*Household*PRODUCT_GROUP286725027*&ds_rl=1116019&ds_rl=1116016&ds_rl=1116019&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk-7jBRD9ARIsAEy8mh5NVxuQL49X5WHM11KKjeXZ0i4l0Qpg3r3K_1zSyFBTtiThQAzaSSMaAntIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I'm a great believer In buying the best you can reasonably afford, when possible. But over £120 for a Dualit would make me blanch a bit.
The flip side, we had a Dualit which was well used at my former employers and had occasion to replace a coup,e of elements, it should hold no fear for someone moderately handy...based on my experience.

Me too, l am not interested in buying a cheap garbage looking/feeling toaster. I don't want to spend less than £50 but there seems to be surprisingly little alternative to Dualit at the higher end. At least Dualit seems honest, others at £100+ try to hide their origins or trade/upsell on a name (chef) tie in.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Me too, l am not interested in buying a cheap garbage looking/feeling toaster. I don't want to spend less than £50 but there seems to be surprisingly little alternative to Dualit at the higher end. At least Dualit seems honest, others at £100+ try to hide their origins or trade/upsell on a name (chef) tie in.
I notice that the Kitchen Aid toasters (another 'premium' brand - which is a euphemism for expensive, I think) get panned because they are rubbish at toasting!

Drago

Legendary Member
I got in trouble with Mrs D when she caught me laying the toaster on its side to make cheese on toast.

We now have a nice Brevile toaster that looks nice, didn't cost a fortune, and is rounded so it doesn't lay easily on its side. Lord know when it was made though.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I got in trouble with Mrs D when she caught me laying the toaster on its side to make cheese on toast.

We now have a nice Brevile toaster that looks nice, didn't cost a fortune, and is rounded so it doesn't lay easily on its side. Lord know when it was made though.

It was Brevile that started it.....l looked at Dualit, Sage, Kitchen Aid & Bugatti, all expensive. Then l saw a Breville at Asda, a very nice retro design in cream, they are about £40 l think.

I took it out it out of the box and was shocked at just how cheap/horrible it looked and felt after the handling the others. No way.

Should anybody fancy a viewing of a good range of high quality toasters......then l can recommend Dawsons of Skipton.:okay:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is that the same Dawsons we have over this side in Clitheroe? They do have amazing home wares and ironmongery departments. You can go in and find the perfect reverse-thread reciprocating sprocket widget for your DIY project and get free advice with it.

PK99

Legendary Member
Dualit is beloved by the Hampstead set and JL shoppers. Bet even Corbyn has got one. As one of the great unwashed I'll struggle along with the Chinese cheapies.

Buy cheap by twice. Our Dualit lite is very old!

PK99

Legendary Member
Interesting thread for me. I was saying to Mrs D just a few weeks ago..... we have been married over 50 years and never had a toaster that will toast a full slice evenly-all over.l.

You've never had a Dualit then?

Top Bottom