New touring bike - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Build your own, so much more satifying, tailor it to you own needs, a bit of this and a bit of that from different manufactories. Buying the frame is the hardest part, getting that right and everything hangs off of it, yolu could even use some the best parts from your other bike as i would assum you would not be using it at the same time.

Absolutely , I'm building a new bike that I can use for touring, winter club runs, a bit of off road, etc. I'm buying what I need, using what I already have but mostly paying attention to what I might want in the future and do it now, although there is some fun to be had upgrading bits here and there over time.

I gave my flat bar bike to my son so now I'm building one around the Surly Ogre frameset, I could buy a new Surly Ogre for a bit more money than this will cost me, the difference is that I'm fitting what I want which will result in a much better spec bike and to my taste, and includes a set of £350 wheels I'm building for it. Something so simple as a tyre choice, I had been using Schwalbe Marathons 1.5" on the bike a gave away and I want something similar with this one, the new Ogre comes with 2.5" tyres which aren't for my needs, saddle, stem, wheels, bar grips, pedals would have to be upgraded if I bought a Surly Ogre already built.
..... and I get to cut the steerer tube to the length that suit me best :smile:

For typical 2-week Eurotouring, a disc brake do-it-all CX/tourer shod with 35-38mm tyres can tackle anything you are likely to find and may wear 32mm rubber most of the time. There is a thread about this style of bike with lots of current examples.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
All the comments very useful..not sure I am ready for bike packing.

The Spa looks good but very much more pricey..

Also i can get a further 100
£ off the James by trading in an old bike.. ANY bike even a kids one missing a wheel! So down to £900

The non-Ti spa tourer is £985. Sorry, not sure how to link from my phone.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The non-Ti spa tourer is £985. Sorry, not sure how to link from my phone.

I bought the frame&forks and built it up myself. Probably the best option as others have said.
It's nice having a bike that was built around what I personally wanted rather than around a price bracket for the masses.
It's a wee bit more pricy that way though and not without its issues...compatible parts etc.

Do you need front panniers. If you don't, you don't actually need a tourer. You want something with long enough rear stays for clearance and stability and not too much of a racing geometry as some can feel front light when loaded but most bike packing style bikes would work these days. Something like the Planet x London Road or a Kinesis Tripster AT. Bit more of a risk as you're moving away from tourer geometry and the built in comfort and stability but these bikes are built for long distance etc. so, probably OK

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks for all your comments. The Jamis is what I am going for. I may go for a few changes once I get it. Have the option of cancelling or returning, and it does what I want. I have done a lot of touring so know what I want. What I want now is a bike that will do relatively light tours with possible options of a couple of weeks camping. I prefer not to use front panniers (although I do own some)

Next tours are week in southern Portugal in late March (will probably get away with two front panniers on the back as will be doing hotels) then two weeks in Washington state - full camping kit in late June early July

Conradm

Regular
Hmmm...
New tourer may be lovely. Or.... Get a Cheap second-hand one and use it, fix and fettle until it suits you. Might save you some money. Igor Kovse 's blog anyone?

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Hmmm...
New tourer may be lovely. Or.... Get a Cheap second-hand one and use it, fix and fettle until it suits you. Might save you some money. Igor Kovse 's blog anyone?
thanks. I am not after doing this on the cheap. I have a long term health problem and I think £900 for bike that should give me 10+ years of touring is pretty good value. The current bike has given great service and I will resell, reducing the cost yet further

the stupid one

Über Member
I realise, Jay Clock, that you've already made up your mind, but since you've got an active and relevant thread going . . .

Just spotted the Cube NuRoad Exc on sale at Freeborn for £1120. Aluminium, Shimano 105, hydraulic discs, Tubus rack, mudguards, and even a dynamo hub and lights. I don't recall this bike being mentioned on cyclechat, and I wonder what it's like.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/nuroad/cube-nuroad-exc-blackngrey-2018/

https://www.freeborn.co.uk/cube-nuroad-exc-2018-black-n-grey-gravel-bike

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
This Ridgeback Panorama Deluxe frame looks great, and it's <£400 for a Reynolds 853 frame: -
ridgeback-panorama-deluxe-frameset-p12171-95417_medium.jpg

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/frames-c33/ridgeback-panorama-deluxe-frameset-p12171

If I didn't already have my lovely Dawes Horizon I'd be tempted.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
This Ridgeback Panorama Deluxe frame looks great, and it's <£400 for a Reynolds 853 frame: -
View attachment 430679
https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/frames-c33/ridgeback-panorama-deluxe-frameset-p12171

If I didn't already have my lovely Dawes Horizon I'd be tempted.

Not sure I would. Ridgeback went through a phase of designing their tourers to be low and racy at the front. Probably to attract younger riders. I'd want to see the geometry first. I notice a lack of under downtube bottle cage bosses for starters...
Nice looking frame though.

BB is square taper vs HT2

At the risk of a thread divert I'd see that as an advantage. If I knew what I know now, I would have had a square taper on my Hewitt. You can fit a square taper and forget about it for years, subject to just taking it out every year or two and re-applying heavy grease or anti-seize to the outside to check that it doesn't get stuck in.

You can lay a spare up and when/if it does go, takes no time at all to fit the new one - and then forget about that for another load of years. If going on a long long tour you can always put a new one in, keeping the extracted one as a spare, and it is then incredibly unlikely that you will have any BB issues on tour.

Top Bottom