New touring bike - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gearing on the OP's Jamis Aurora is far too high for a touring bike.
Only just noticed that, though do have a memory from my explorations in the past that that bike was pitched between bike types and to my mind would have needed some changes to make a tourer. I feel you are right - who needs a 50T big ring on a tourer? And the 30T "small" is big. So the fact that it has ten on the back is kind of irrelevant. I think I'd go for a 9 speed to be honest - and Spa could happily supply that.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK, so back to drawing board!! I have come to pick up bike, and 55 is definitely too big. And no 53cm left anywhere. And some of the comments above are very valid.

I may look at building up from scratch. I am fine to do 95% of that myslef, but may well need help drawing up a shopping list of compatible parts. Also a gamble on sizing

Jay

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
For typical 2-week Eurotouring, a disc brake do-it-all CX/tourer shod with 35-38mm tyres can tackle anything you are likely to find and may wear 32mm rubber most of the time. There is a thread about this style of bike with lots of current examples.
can you point me to this thread?

OK, so back to drawing board!! I have come to pick up bike, and 55 is definitely too big. And no 53cm left anywhere. And some of the comments above are very valid.

I may look at building up from scratch. I am fine to do 95% of that myslef, but may well need help drawing up a shopping list of compatible parts. Also a gamble on sizing

Jay
Maybe a close shave then jay (as I said once to a superficially attractive but problematical woman) - a good bike can be for life. I would seriously consider 9 speed. I take it this is for drop bars though? Which does make compatibility of controls etc more of an issue. Would also check out Spa as many upthread have suggested. I have done some good projects on old steel hybrids with their sensible bits but I may in the end end up buying one of their tourer frames and putting bits on that.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Not sure I would. Ridgeback went through a phase of designing their tourers to be low and racy at the front. Probably to attract younger riders. I'd want to see the geometry first. I notice a lack of under downtube bottle cage bosses for starters...
Nice looking frame though.
I like low and racy. I want my tourer to feel rather like my road/tri bike.

I am looking fairly seriously at this frame and may be looking at it tomorrow.

Apart from simple stuff like bar and seatpost, I would probably want

Any comments about what chainset I could fit to that sort of rig?

Other comments on my shopping list in terms of general compatibility etc?

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Maybe a close shave then jay (as I said once to a superficially attractive but problematical woman) - a good bike can be for life. I would seriously consider 9 speed. I take it this is for drop bars though? Which does make compatibility of controls etc more of an issue. Would also check out Spa as many upthread have suggested. I have done some good projects on old steel hybrids with their sensible bits but I may in the end end up buying one of their tourer frames and putting bits on that.
Problem with Spa (although I will definitely buy wheels from them) is that they are gruff and rubbish on the phone. I need someone engaging me in a decent chat to work out what will work. The guy from Bike Tart has been really good ( and he is a real tourist)

Problem with Spa (although I will definitely buy wheels from them) is that they are gruff and rubbish on the phone. I need someone engaging me in a decent chat to work out what will work. The guy from Bike Tart has been really good ( and he is a real tourist)
:smile:

Am aware that they have a certain reputation.

But I well remember buying some wheels from them and needing a fair bit of help from them to give them them the info they needed. The bloke on the phone couldn't have been nicer.

Of course I am a northerner and have kept a bit of the accent, albeit Lancashire - maybe that would explain it. Have you considered elocution lessons :smile:

edit - can I ask why you are so wedded to Hollowtech2?

A tourer that rides like a tri bike does sound a bit odd to tell the truth but each to their own.

Plus 1 to racks from Tubus.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Spa are famously awkward with customers.

My visit to the shop went well, although when I questioned the price of a component - their mistake - the guy jumped down my throat.

I would recommend Spa in that they understand touring and will customise a bike effectively for the price of off-the-peg.

I'm sure you could manage their foibles face-to-face, but trying to deal with them over the phone for anything other than a cash and carry purchase is probably not wise.

Spa are famously awkward with customers.

My visit to the shop went well, although when I questioned the price of a component - their mistake - the guy jumped down my throat.

I would recommend Spa in that they understand touring and will customise a bike effectively for the price of off-the-peg.

I'm sure you could manage their foibles face-to-face, but trying to deal with them over the phone for anything other than a cash and carry purchase is probably not wise.
Reminded me.

They have a price match flag/policy on some of their bits.

I asked for this on something - a mech I think - and got a straightforward but perfectly polite email back saying that they couldn't actually match that as they would be left with no profit. I must say that I found this rather endearing.

They can be a bit slow responding to emails but I have the impression that this is because they are tightly staffed.

They do know their stuff jayclock and life has taught me that sometimes folk like this can come across as a tad tactless. But I am pretty confident that they will give good advice and an honest deal.

Maybe go for a yoga session, channel your inner northerner and hop on a train before it all wears off.

My Spa wheels are still running perfectly.

all the best.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
In answer to various comments and questions

• I have used Spa for wheels and plan to again. Excellent
  • 100% agreed they know their stuff but it all sounds a bit hasty as if I will be annoying them by wanting a a good natter
  • Hollowtech II I have never had a problem with, and it has been around 15-20 years so well proven. I always found square taper needed tightening a lot
  • I don't want the bike to ride like a tri bike but if I can manage on a road bike with the bars a few cm below the saddle then the same should be fine on my tourer (fyi I managed 2 mths across the USA in a nice low position). I certainly don't subscribe to the super upright idea

Top Bottom