New touring bike - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
latest purchase is 12 different adapters for fitting the brakes as I have no real idea what I need, so will send back unneeded ones!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I believe so. The compatibility chart is a bit weird for that one, claiming it only matches with the new R3030 chainset, but SJS think it'll work for a different old-pull FD so I'd agree with them.

PS: Compatibility charts are here if you fancy some confusing block diagrams - http://productinfo.shimano.com/download/pdf/com/2.7/en

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Oldest daughter has a pearlescent turquoise Dawes Super Galaxy ‘93.

She is the second owner. I found it in a hen house on a job and paid the owner £100. Another £100 to do it up. It has been round the NL on two 14 day mini tours of the NL since the ‘chicken rescue.’ Good bikes ain’t no good in the shed.

*Inoculates hundreds of N+ owners nationwide with deep feelings of guilt*

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I have to admit, I do prefer the deep red of the Vantage to the Spa's british racing green.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
That's very nice indeed. Are you going to post a complete final spec?

What was the weight of frame & forks out of interest? BTW agree re Biketarts, I've dealt with them recently, too.

IMG_4473.JPG
This Ridgeback Panorama Deluxe frame looks great, and it's <£400 for a Reynolds 853 frame: -
View attachment 430679
https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/frames-c33/ridgeback-panorama-deluxe-frameset-p12171

If I didn't already have my lovely Dawes Horizon I'd be tempted.

Hello Mcshroom

Just been rereading this thread and if you don't mind me asking, how old is your horizon?

I picked one up earlier this year and am trying to find out more info.

Hopefully you can help

EDIT: just re-read again so see its from 2012. I doubt mine is that young.

Last edited:
Out of interest Jayclock, what is it that makes the Koga so heavy?

Am a bit puzzled.

And I write/tap as someone who isn't overly concerned with the weight of a bike, let alone a tourer, for my current style of cycling.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Good question.. Wheels and tyres and tubes are heavier. Forks certainly a lot bigger although being aluminium may not be as big a difference. Koga has Brooks B17 which is 300g more. Kickstand adds a couple of hundred grams.. Hard to say..

Top Bottom