New touring bike - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am putting this in here, as I am hoping tourers will have a slightly different view than those in the "which bike" forum. But happy for any opinions

As some will know from my blogs I have a Koga Miyata World Traveller. Faultless workhorse but heavy and probably too heavy duty. I am thinking of something lighter (the KM is about 18kg with bottle cages, racks and a tool bag on it) and I don't really need the "round the world" credit it offers.

I am very keen on this. https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-aurora-elite-2018-touring-bike-EV306053
I tested the 2017 model in Jan this year but they only had it in 57 which was too big.

Ideally I would prefer STI levers to bar ends, but not a biggie

I am rambling a bit but up for suggestions and discussion!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
If it’s really not a biggie, the Surly Disc atrucker offers amazing value. Too heavy?

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks. I can see why you suggest but there are a few things that put me off

Wheels, I really fancy going back to 700c.
BB is square taper vs HT2
No rack and guards (couple hundred pounds
£600 more before adding rack and guards...

Also I have impression the Jamis 631 is a better quality steel but that might be bollox?

GM

Legendary Member

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I have the standard Spa Cycles tourer, albeit the flat bar version, and love it. It's pretty nippy, even feeling like it accelerates uphill! I liked that they would swap out parts to build it to your spec eg change the stem length or not charge you for a saddle if you had your own. Not as stylish as the Jamis though.

betty swollocks

large member
Some sort of bikepacking /gravel bike??
There's all sorts of bags to go with these, which wrap round various frame tubes, handlebars and seat post, so you don't even need racks.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
IMG_0010.JPG
Have a look at the Sonder Camino Ti .
I've set of today to do the Camino del Norte on the Ali version .
Had the bike 4 months now with no problems and very comfy .

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've been touring on a Ribble winter / audax frame for well over a decade. Mavic Open Pro wheels, Acera mech with revoshifters, 12-32 cassette and a 36T chainset. It started off with a Compact, but I never really needed the big ring.
It's on the Bikebuilder with Tiagra for £699 at the moment. No Sora option these days.

ozboz

Guru
I have a Surly CC , but if I would have seen one of those I may have been tempted away from the Surly , but I woud have ditched the bars and end shifters for straight bars with XT shifters as I have with the Surley'
I also had to pay extra for the granny wheel , bit it was worth it for steep hill
climbing

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Another fan of the Spa Touring here.
Absolutely lovely handling bike and some well thought out tweaks built in such as M6 bolt mounts for the rear rack and separate mounts for the front mudguard and rack. Specifically designed to take mini V brakes for those sticking to STI gearing.
Their newest model will take disc brakes if desired.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
All the comments very useful..not sure I am ready for bike packing.

The Spa looks good but very much more pricey..

Also i can get a further 100
£ off the James by trading in an old bike.. ANY bike even a kids one missing a wheel! So down to £900

Top Bottom