New TV - how big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
43" Digihome (Tesco own brand I think). I sit 8 or 9 feet away and it's plenty big enough. Very cheap set but the picture quality is excellent. The sound is passable but I have it hooked up to a quality amp and speakers so tv speakers are redundant. It is 4k, not that I wanted it but there's not much choice with 1080p only anymore.
The smart features are rubbish, they nearly always crash the system. So I got an Amazon fire tv stick for £25. No visible wires, connects to wifi, faultless operation, voice search if you want, access to all the BBC, Ch4, ITV channels etc and of course Prime, netflix etc.

In my experience, it's very easy now to get a good picture on a cheap set, it's just everything else that suffers (smart features, sound).
In terms of size, you will get used to anything that's in front of you over time. But I wouldn't go beyond 55 inch as you'll see every imperfection when watching SD tv

Thanks. We too have a Firestick, it works very well, but I’ve not found a way of watching Film4 or regional tv broadcasts via it. Am I doing something wrong? We use TV Player app to watch the regular BBC and C4 channels.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Thanks. We too have a Firestick, it works very well, but I’ve not found a way of watching Film4 or regional tv broadcasts via it. Am I doing something wrong? We use TV Player app to watch the regular BBC and C4 channels.
AFAIK you can't watch film4 on demand. CAn you not just watch it live via the aerial?! Regional broadcasts, the same thing.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
65" LG Smart 4K TV in the living room - has Freeview (Inc Freeview Play), Freesat HD, Netflix, Prime and all the catch up TV apps built in and does everything you could ever need. Streams 4K content from Prime / iPlayer just fine.

Have the 49" model from the same range in the bedroom.

Once you've had them a week or two they don't seem excessively large :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
AFAIK you can't watch film4 on demand. CAn you not just watch it live via the aerial?! Regional broadcasts, the same thing.

Haven’t got an aerial but I’ve recently had a Freesat dish installed so can watch via that. Arguably, I could live without Freesat, just stream everything over 4G broadband.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes I'd echo Richer Sounds (pun intended). Their service is excellent, and they are all very knowledgable and don't try to sell up to you. Most of their TVs come with a 5 year guarantee as well, or at least 3 years.
*Edit - they're all 6 years on their site. Big bonus

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Ive bought from Richer Sounds in the past. Very good.

Couple of photos of room in question. Excuse mess, we’ve only just moved in. Black sofa is viewing platform!

Smudge

Veteran
4K 50" Panny with built in Freeview Play. When i first got it to replace my 40" Samsung, i thought it was too big, but you soon get used to a bigger set and now i coudn't go back to a TV smaller than 50".
I always look for the best deal, then get either Richer Sounds or John Lewis to price match, to take advantage of the 5 or 6 yr warranty they both do.

After looking at new TV's until my eyes bled I more or less stumbled across THIS LG at Costco for a good price. I was actually on my to Richer Sounds to buy the same TV, but as it happened it was cheaper at Costco, so I bit the bullet and bought one.

It's a 55UM7660PLA. I wanted 55', (old one was 42' plasma), and TBH although it's obviously bigger, with the thin bezels of today's sets it doesn't look all that much bigger than the old one.

@Proto Freesat was a requirement of mine as well, and this set has it. TBH I only use Freesat as a back up at the moment, but I am planning to bin VM and switch to Freesat completely.

Anyway, for an inexpensive 55' smart TV with a 5 year guarantee I'm very happy with it :okay:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
That's a lovely lounge! I would say you couldn't really have too large a TV there, unless it encroaches on the window but you'd have to go huge to do that. You're a fair distance away if you're sitting on the main central sofa, so I don't think a 50 or even a 55 inch wouldn't make viewing too grainy.

May I also suggest a TV unit like this , I had a similar one for £100 and it's solid wood, it hides all the rear cables etc completely (or would do in your corner) and would go very well with your floor

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
60" Smart LG tv in lounge
42" Sony smart TV - bedroom
42" Smart LG in kitchen
42" Smart TV in the mancave

36" Smart TV out on the decking for the footy

im a tv watching freak.....

Top Bottom