New TV - how big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Too far away to see clearly, and not correctable with glasses, so no point in paying for HD never mind 4K!

Artefects are often on the range of dozens and dozens of pixels, so someone with not perfect eyesight may notice.

The colour palette on SD is often quite garish even to people with eyesight which they would want to be better.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
I’ve never found that the built in apps are any good, Roku is so much better we’ve got a couple of them now, it even has an Apple TV app, so I’ve got rid of all our Apple TV boxes.

It's already has Disney, Rakuten and Apple TV onboard, plus others in the App Store e.g. Mubi, YouTube and so on.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Artefects are often on the range of dozens and dozens of pixels, so someone with not perfect eyesight may notice.

The colour palette on SD is often quite garish even to people with eyesight which they would want to be better.
I can tell the difference between an old analogue fuzzy picture and a digital one but for 1080-4K, the improvement isn't worth not... based on a very crude analysis during visits to Costcos over the years!

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Too far away to see clearly, and not correctable with glasses, so no point in paying for HD never mind 4K!

To my eyes HD/2K is noticeably better than SD at viewing distance of 3metres or so, but 4K is not. So, not much pint in paying for it, but you'll not find a modern TV that is not 4K ready.

The very helpful fellow at Curry's said exactly the same. So too did the bods on the AV Forum.

And that's if you have any 4K source material, which I don't! We don't pay extra for Netflix Preier, we don't have Blu-ray, no gaming, so 4K waste of time for us. And don't even bother talking about 8K!!

icowden

Veteran
And whilst your at it, what brand do I buy? What size? LED, QLED, OLED, HDR ?!?!?!? And it’s got to have built in Freesat, Netflix and Amazon Prime Included. I’m a tight Brummie, so not looking to spend more than £500 ish 🙀

Thoughts, please!

Get the largest one you can persuade your significant other to tolerate? If single, match it to the wall!
I've always tended to get LG but Samsung tend to have the best ability to add new services (e.g. DisneyPlus, All4 etc).
I wouldn't worry too much about LED ? QLED / OLED / HDR etc.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D is blind on ine eye so is also not getting the benefit of 4K or HD either. One embarassing incident a few years ago saw me forgetting this and booking seats at the cinema for a 3D viewing.

As an interesting point, at normal viewing distances 4K is slightly greater resolution than the human eye resolve unaided, so is fairly close to optimum. In that regard 8K is an utter waste of time and bandwidth.

icowden

Veteran
And that's if you have any 4K source material, which I don't! We don't pay extra for Netflix Preier, we don't have Blu-ray, no gaming, so 4K waste of time for us. And don't even bother talking about 8K!!

You can see the difference with UHD / 4K. There just isn't very much of it. I have yet to figure out however *why* anyone would want to see Jeremy Clarkson's mug in any more detail.
I got an LG that was an early UHD model, so I can watch 4k content on Prime and Netflix but not iplayer (go figure).

The built in apps are pretty good but no All4 or DisneyPlus - have to use the Playstation for that.

MntnMan62

Über Member
You need to go as big as you can. We have a 52” Samsung LCD in our living room and a 65” Samsung LED in our basement entertainment room. My wife said it’s too big when we first bought it. Now she prefers watching the big TV. Go figure.

stephec

Legendary Member
I always thought larger TV’s were a bit vulgar until my Father in law gave us his old 48” Samsung to replace our 32” Sony. My wife managed to disguise it by painting the wall behind with blackboard paint, two years later it’s still here and we’re just used it.
View attachment 526286
I thought that was a fish tank at first. 😄

Drago

Legendary Member
Farting through a toilet roll tube would sound better than modern tv speakers!

My Dad uses some upmarket PC speakers for his tv, which sound very good. Not much use if your telly is wall mounted though.

postman

Legendary Member
I was hoping for a bigger telly this year.The talk was dumping Virgin and going Freeview,but it seems to have died a death at the moment.And a better telly was mentioned well I mentioned it.

Top Bottom