New TV - how big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
A mock up of a 49” tv. I think it’s a bit too big. My wife will definitely think it’s a lot too big,

Note the cardboard box Wood-Burning-Stoves stove mock up in the fireplace. Man coming next week!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A mock up of a 49” tv. I think it’s a bit too big. My wife will definitely think it’s a lot too big,

Note the cardboard box Wood-Burning-Stoves stove mock up in the fireplace. Man coming next week! View attachment 525824

I reckon you could fit a 65" telly on that chimney breast no problem.

You could then fit a couple of bikes in where the telly is now. :okay:

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
TV might be better in the LHS corner, perhaps? Less reflection, lower light level, as well as being less obtrusive..

No an option, I'm afraid. There's another pair of glazed doors to the garden on the left of the sofa, same as on the right. Also to the left of the fireplace is a doorway with steps up to the hallway. So realistically, to the right where it is now. (also router and Freesat cables come into the house there).

BTW my wife looked at the 49" mockup and was bemused why anyone would want a tv that big. She can't see (ho ho) any advantage over our existing tv apart from losing the spaghetti. She has no interest in super high definition, 4K, 8K, or anything else, and tbh, I think she's got a point.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Your mock-up looks a bit wrong, you'll probably find that an actual TV is wider but not quite as high. Unless you've done it by actual dimensions, in which case ignore me. A new (larger) TV always looks really big but you soon get used to it and will a) never go back to a smaller one and b) say thinks like "I'm glad we went for the bigger one now".

but up to you of course. If you just want to get rid of the wiring and make it look nicer, and smaller investment of a wooden TV unit as I suggested might make it look a lot tidier and hide the cables?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Where have you hidden the three thousand cables that I seem to have hanging out the back of my telly? ☹

Careful routing ! :rolleyes:

I think ours is a 40" Samsung in the Lounge - could go a bit bigger next time, but it's fine. Newer Toshiba 50" in the bedroom - we bought it for MIL, but she is in a care home, so we took it back - doesn't look too big wall mounted, but we hardly use it (replaced a 20" flatscreen so looked massive at first). I think we have a new 50" TV in the caravan - Mrs F leant on the previous TV as we were getting it out just before lockdown, and smashed the screen.

It depends where it's situated, and what's round it as Mo1959's doesn't look 65" where it is in relation to the furniture - it looks spot on.

postman

Legendary Member
Next year we shall be leaving Virgin after decades being with them.But please don't tell them.We got a deal after saying we were thinking of leaving.Anyway come next year,we are going freeview..Ariel going up local firm great reviews,and for me one very big all singing and dancing telly.I think as i get older tv will be my main form of entertainment,so i am going to enjoy it,big style.

dodgy

Can't believe you got so many replies, I thought Cycle Chat members didn't own TVs!

As far as tech, I think OLED looks substantially better than QLED.

Gunk

Guru
I always thought larger TV’s were a bit vulgar until my Father in law gave us his old 48” Samsung to replace our 32” Sony. My wife managed to disguise it by painting the wall behind with blackboard paint, two years later it’s still here and we’re just used it.

Top Bottom