New tyres for hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
:rolleyes:

I am still new but loving my cycling so was thinking of getting a 2nd bike. i have a subway yrid 2 and love it, its so comfy for me. but i thought i would also like a road bike to get more speed and distance.

however i dont reall have the room to keep 2 bikes and obviously the additional cost so thought of geting new raod tryes for my subway instead, i could always swap back in the winter or for doing trails etc. would raod tyres on the bike make a difference? would they fit on my wheels? is it a good idea?

cheers dave

valetillidye

Hi matey,

I put a set of road tyres on my hybrid a couple of years ago - it makes one hell of a difference in terms of the speed!

Go for it. I'm a mechanical dinosaur so I took mine to a good bike shop and let them do it for me

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Hi matey,

I put a set of road tyres on my hybrid a couple of years ago - it makes one hell of a difference in terms of the speed!

Go for it. I'm a mechanical dinosaur so I took mine to a good bike shop and let them do it for me

thanks, i think id do the same

i still fancy a roady but the subway is so comfy, the gears feel right so for now its the right bike for me, if changing tyres can make a differnce to the long rides i hope to do then i think ill do that

i read on here that someone had a thin tyre on the front an kept the original on the back, carnt see how that woud make the diffecne required, if i go for it ill swap both i think

Dibs

Veteran
I've just fitted Continental Travel Contact tyres on my MTB. Tyres get great reviews! They are semi slick down the middle with knobbly outer, so best of both worlds. Supposed to have decent puncture resistance as well!

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
im going to plug the Michelin city tyres again. available from loads of places in even more sizes than the link offers. very fast rolling, handle well, good puncture protection, very easy to get on, last forever and a bargain price.

you really dont need to spend anymore on a hybrid/commuting tyre

i read on here that someone had a thin tyre on the front an kept the original on the back, carnt see how that woud make the diffecne required, if i go for it ill swap both i think

I think most of your rolling resistance comes from the front wheel, it certainly feels like that ;-) its certainly more efficient to brake the front. So changing that would reduce this whilst keeping the wider rear would retain some of the comfort. (I think I would change both though although I may use a larger tyre at the back). Narrower, slicker tyres and you'll be flying :-) just remember you may be limited by rim width as to how narrow you can go.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
yeh i presumed the rim width would affect tire i could put on

the michelin tyres look similar to whats on already so not worht the change. if i do change ill get the thinest smoothest tyres i can, keep my bigger ones for winter

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
did you swap to em HLaB? did they make a difference to your resistance when cycling and therefore distance and speed?

good to get a recomendation, glad ive picked something somebody can recommend

did you swap to em HLaB? did they make a difference to your resistance when cycling and therefore distance and speed?

good to get a recomendation, glad ive picked something somebody can recommend

Nope, they came on my hybrid 8265 miles ago, they p'tured once (when I failed to spot an obvious half glass bottle in the middle of the path) when they were less than 500miles old and once when they were about 8000 miles old; 7000+ without p'ture sounds good to me. Anybody who I've spoke to who change their nobblies to slicks quote 2-3mph increase on average.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
22-3 mph is quite an increase

i wouldnt say mine are nobblies, they are quite slick/ish. i suppose the difference between aMTB tyre and a slick is massive, not sure the difference mine would make, ideally someone whos has made that change could give me a clue

Top Bottom