New Welsh Exercise rules clear as mud.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
More grey areas than Mark Drakefords hair. Depending on which bits you read you can ride 10 miles ,20 miles ,a reasonable distance or in your own locality.

Amused me that the picture shows police talking to a cyclist in Richmond Park. If the ride started in Aberystwyth then fair enough I suppose but I am not really sure if that would comply or not.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/new-wales-rules-exercising-during-18142904

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
It clearly says no more that 10 miles from your home. So draw a big circle on the map, your house in the middle, the perimeter being 10 miles out and you can merrily cycle any of those roads for a couple of hours. No more that 4 or 5 though, but TBH using common sense that is taking the mic. Most of us can use roads within 10 miles of our homes and get a couple of hours in the saddle.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My personal rule of thumb has been to go no further than about 10 miles from home as I could push or carry the bike that far if I had to. I carry tools and spares as well .

I think that is reasonable but would a police officer agree?
The actual rules contain no definite distance .

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It clearly says no more that 10 miles from your home. So draw a big circle on the map, your house in the middle, the perimeter being 10 miles out and you can merrily cycle any of those roads for a couple of hours. No more that 4 or 5 though, but TBH using common sense that is taking the mic. Most of us can use roads within 10 miles of our homes and get a couple of hours in the saddle.

Can you point me in the direction of that info please.

Drago

Legendary Member
More grey areas than Mark Drakefords hair. Depending on which bits you read you can ride 10 miles ,20 miles ,a reasonable distance or in your own...
Apparently, distance is no problem when you fall ill and they ship you off to hospital in England. They dont want people self isolating in their second homes, but they're happy to send their plague carriers to Bristol and Hereford.

daverave

Veteran
The Welsh Government guidelines state:
"Cycling should be local, as a rule of thumb limited to travelling no further than a reasonable walking distance from home."
What a load of crap which does not make sense. In my case, this confines me to an area where there will be many other people around (walking, cycling) and I would need to do several loops in order to make it worthwhile. It rules out my usual route, which is more out towards the countryside where I rarely come close to anyone. The guidelines do nothing to stop the spread of coronavirus - in fact, I'd argue that it could it could increase the spread. Ironically, the same guidlines suggest a maximum of 4 hours cycling at once. I'm dumbfounded. Times like this need common sense.

dodgy

the same guidlines suggest a maximum of 4 hours cycling at once.

No it does not.

From https://gov.wales/leaving-home-exercise-guidance#section-41080

"So if somebody went out to exercise once in a day but spent 4 or 5 hours doing so, this is unlikely to be reasonable. "

Even the official guidance from the Welsh Government is wooly and open to some interpretation and not really helpful at all. But at least let's point to the actual document rather than a local newspaper.

daverave

Veteran
Yes, I am referring to the official guidance. My interpretation is that less than 4 hours would be reasonable? But my main point was the distance being limited to a typical walking distance.

dodgy

Yes, I am referring to the official guidance. My interpretation is that less than 4 hours would be reasonable? But my main point was the distance being limited to a typical walking distance.

It's a pathetic stab at guidance, you'd think the Welsh government having a go at clarifying rules for their own country would have done a better job since everyone knew the original UK guidance was open to interpretation. The document should be as short as possible, just 2 or 3 bullet points would have done.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The whole guideline thing is very ambiguous. What is a reasonable walking distance for 1 might not be for another.

And of course cycling in a town or city will be very different to being in the middle of nowhere .

The so called new rules are total rubbish and I suspect the police won't be able to enforce them as they won't be able to tell people what a reasonable distance is. Maybe that's why the first minister said what he said.

daverave

Veteran
It forces many people to do exercise withing a confined area, thus likely to increase the spread of the virus.

Which you're right, it doesn't suit me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom