New wheels are faster, fact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
I would like to add some data to this study if I may. I am pleased to confirm that new wheels are faster; I conducted my own experiment today. On Thursday my wife gave me a Shimano RS81 wheel set for my birthday which I have only just fitted this afternoon. I went for a 10 mile spin with an average speed of 16.5 mph. Hampered by the fact that my dérailleur was a bit out sync which slowed me down a bit. However out of the last 25 rides I have only gone over 16.5 ave twice. So further proof if proof be needed that new wheels are faster.

I may add that new wheels also make you look faster and more attractive to the opposite sex, but that should go without saying.

Oh yes, and they also stop faster too, I nearly went over the feckin' handle bars. No one ever tells you about that do they?
Good to see further scientific research.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
This can all be sorted out scientifically and definitively by doing a proper comparative study where all the variables are taken into account. Simply fit one old and one new wheel to your bike and make a note of which one performs best. This way both wheels will be subject to exactly the same conditions so there can be no error in your calculations.

Mike!

Guru
This can all be sorted out scientifically and definitively by doing a proper comparative study where all the variables are taken into account. Simply fit one old and one new wheel to your bike and make a note of which one performs best. This way both wheels will be subject to exactly the same conditions so there can be no error in your calculations.
Just make sure you fit the new wheel at the front, otherwise you will be riding backwards

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

If this does not deserve a Nobel prize, then I don't know what does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom