New wheels are faster, fact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
After snapping my saddle in two I borrowed one off a mate. What do you know, first ride out and I set a new PB on the commute at 22.2 mph. This beat my previous best by almost 1 mph. Can't wait to put new bar tape on.....

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I could spend a fortune on fast wheels but would that stop me bottling out and braking on descents ?

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
I have further proved that new wheels are faster and it is properly scientific too!

Went out today for a ride, second time using the wheels and was slower than the first, 20.1mph ave, vs. 20.3mph ave when they were new. I can only conclude that it was due to the wheels no longer being box fresh new*

This further proves the point that new wheels and probably all new stuff is faster. Fact.

And proper scientific too...

*the drop in ave. speed was nothing to do with increasing the distance by c. 60%, no not one bit:whistle:

Koga

Excellent report, will be of great use to the cycling society and no doubt will boost the sale of new wheels (Mr Osborne will be grateful for the boost to the economy!)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Whilst I must applaud the fine scientific study done @mattobrien I feel I must also comment on the shockingly poor number of miles you have done so far this month. As you are a fan of statistics what do you have to say to 169.9 miles done this month at an average of 9.438 a day ? :popcorn:

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Whilst I must applaud the fine scientific study done @mattobrien I feel I must also comment on the shockingly poor number of miles you have done so far this month. As you are a fan of statistics what do you have to say to 169.9 miles done this month at an average of 9.438 a day ? :popcorn:
I couldn't agree more re my very poor mileage this month, well this whole year to be honest. Shockingly I am actually down on miles YoY:eek:

I blame the rug rats and them passing on their ailments. Three poor mileage months have done for me, along with two missed 100 miles due to minor ailments:cry:

When I do get out, infrequently I know, I have managed to up the average a little, so not all bad.

Plus I have managed to conduct a bone fide scientific study. Got to be pleased with that.

I shall be badgering mr @Andrew_Culture to see if he is allowed out to play on Sunday morning again. It says it is going to be dry until around 10am and anyway we are both used to riding in the wet now too:rain:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Nice, I will be playing at one of those stupid mud runs on Sunday out Woodbridge way. We will have to see if we can raise the Suffolk posse for a ride out one Sunday next month

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
what happens if i buy two sets of wheels and use the second set will my increase be twice as much?

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
what happens if i buy two sets of wheels and use the second set will my increase be twice as much?
Only for the first ride, while it is new. It has been proven things are only faster when new, when not new the 'affect' wears off.

All scientifically proven as detailed in the thread ^_^

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This is one of the reasons why enjoy reading CC , elsewhere on this site you get complete and utter drivel written about all sorts of stuff and amongst it all you get insightful, real world, scientific studies like this. Excellent work, well done everyone.

sackville d

Veteran
This is one of the reasons why enjoy reading CC , elsewhere on this site you get complete and utter drivel written about all sorts of stuff and amongst it all you get insightful, real world, scientific studies like this. Excellent work, well done everyone.
It`s just like that Brain Cox from off of the telly has joined CC! Hard evidentially based facts all the way.Makes ya proud dunn`it:thumbsup:

The OP doesn`t say wether deep section or shallow but I always find my deep section faster than shallow section which is true because I`ve just typed it on the Interwebs:thanks:

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
The OP doesn`t say wether deep section or shallow but I always find my deep section faster than shallow section which is true because I`ve just typed it on the Interwebs:thanks:

Depends on which are new. If you have been riding deep rims and them buy some new shallow rims, these will be faster as they are new, it is proven.

Also works the other way round. The main factor is the newness, rather than the depth of rim. Science and all that...

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I would like to add some data to this study if I may. I am pleased to confirm that new wheels are faster; I conducted my own experiment today. On Thursday my wife gave me a Shimano RS81 wheel set for my birthday which I have only just fitted this afternoon. I went for a 10 mile spin with an average speed of 16.5 mph. Hampered by the fact that my dérailleur was a bit out sync which slowed me down a bit. However out of the last 25 rides I have only gone over 16.5 ave twice. So further proof if proof be needed that new wheels are faster.

I may add that new wheels also make you look faster and more attractive to the opposite sex, but that should go without saying.

Oh yes, and they also stop faster too, I nearly went over the feckin' handle bars. No one ever tells you about that do they?

Top Bottom