New wheels for my langster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I meant to do this years ago, but never got round tuit. Here are my thoughts:

Open Pro ceramic rims. I'm vacillating with CXP33 rims though.
Goldtec hubs
Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

All black, as I have a 2006 black langster.

I hear there are production problems with Goldtecs and they are harder to get hold of since they've laid off staff. Also, who do I get to build the wheels? BetD/Goldtec, Brixton Cycles, or?

Or should I consider some other wheelset?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Use regular DB spokes and build them yourself?
OpenPros are easy to build up. Not tried CXP33 yet, although I will do a pair later this year. My OH wants some on her tri bike.
Bladed spokes like CX-Ray just complicate what is fundamentally a simple job.

buddha

Veteran
Mark from BigfootBikes (in Hayes) built me some excellent wheels a few years ago. Not needed truing once.
I'm not sure if he's still there though?

davidad

I believe Goldtec hubs have a 45mm chainline and as standard the Langster used 42mm so you may have to make some adjustments.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Formula hubs, CXP 33's and ACI stainless single butted on mine...... wanted Goldtech, but the LBS said the Formulas were dead easy to service and replace bearings (cartridge)...he was right...... run true as a die for a year now.

Also Ceramics - poor wet braking I've been told, although some folk swear by them.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
@buddha, turns out Sparky left recently and is now working at the Giant concept store (I think)

@davidad, thanks. IIRC the 06 langster has a poor chainline from stock, and I think Goldtec hubs would sort it. Can't remember the details though, but it was a few mm out, not enough to be a problem but enough to make the chain purr.

davidad

BentMikey said:
@davidad, thanks. IIRC the 06 langster has a poor chainline from stock, and I think Goldtec hubs would sort it. Can't remember the details though, but it was a few mm out, not enough to be a problem but enough to make the chain purr.
I've got a back wheel that came from a Langster (not sure whether it was 2006 or 2007) and the chainline on the fixed side is about 38 or 39mm whereas on the ss/freewheel side it is 42mm. I've just checked the BETD/Goldtec site and it says 42.5mm so maybe I'm wrong or they've changed the spec. Goldtecs are far too expensive for me - I use cheap and cheerful On-One track hubs which are only £15.32 at the moment and work fine.

Top Bottom