New wheels! (Fulcrum Racing 5)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
marvellous

vickster

Legendary Member
Enjoy. Hope they hold up better than my second pair. Although you and your luggage may be rather lighter than me and mine

They do make a lush clickety sound though ;)

OP
OP
B

bonsaibilly

These ones appear not to at the moment - I think they've been rammed with grease!!

Heavier than claimed weight but I expected that from researching widely. At any rate this pair comes in at 1730 g which is less than a lot of reviewed versions. BB

PpPete

Legendary Member
This bike
<<<<
came with Fulcrum 7's

couldn't get rid of them fast enough after first visitation when it took 30 minutes to get the tyre off the rim.
Are the 5's any easier?

OP
OP
B

bonsaibilly

This bike
<<<<
came with Fulcrum 7's

couldn't get rid of them fast enough after first visitation when it took 30 minutes to get the tyre off the rim.
Are the 5's any easier?

I haven't had a puncture for well over a year on the old Racing 5s but have changed tyres quite a few times for aesthetic reasons and not had problems with removal or fitting like you describe... I use folding tyres, they are more flexible and easier to fit / remove...

The new Racing 5s are wider rimmed and I had no problem fitting a pair of 25 mm folding Michelin lithion 5s yesterday.

Hoping to take first ride out tomorrow, can't wait! BB

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I've got a set of fulcrum forty4's (quattro's) ready for when the defy gets the shifters replaced. Nothing wrong with the giant stock wheels but the fulcrum so match the colour scheme of the defy0

RegG

Über Member
I've opted for a set of Vittoria Session wheels from Merlin for a great £109 (my LBS wanted £200 but fully recommended them). Delivery was next day and service from Merlin always seems good. The wheels feel lighter than my Giant PR2's that they are replacing and, at around 1760 grams on my scales, are similar weight to others in this price range. They have been fitted to the bike, together with an Ultegra 6800 cassette, and look the bees knees (IMO anyway!). The rims are slightly wider than the old wheels and 25mm tyres fitted easily. Not had chance to try them out yet due to horrible weather here but am looking forward to getting out there on them.

Alfie_Gooner

I am contenplating replacing my current Giant S-Elite C wheels with the Fulcrum Racing 5's, so will watch this thread for your views on them as an upgrade.

OP
OP
B

bonsaibilly

You will shave off approx 200 grams from the wheel weight if you change to R5s, it won't really make any difference to the bike except in the looks department. The biggest difference would be found by changing tyres once the stock Giant ones start to puncture.

I've "upgraded" to R5s from an old pair of R5s so not really much in a position to comment on the changes! bb

gbb

Legendary Member
I brought 5s for my old Bianchi in 2011 (photo below...I loved that bike and still kinda miss it).
Transferred onto my Ribble long since, they've probably done 4k miles and still roll as good as new and have stayed 100 % true.
An indication of their strength, I lost concentration one day as I turned into work and put the front wheel down a storm drain. It went with a HELL of a bang and in that second I thought...that's fooked it...but not a peep out of the wheels.

15112011022.jpg

Top Bottom