New wheels, tyre won't fit without 'bulges'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve had this issue recently.

As others have suggested, I deflated both tyres used a paintbrush to apply a soapy solution inflated to about 35 psi then manipulated the tyre until it popped and centred, inflated again to about 65 psi and went out for a ride, about a mile will be enough. Came back and job done!

Just don’t do what I managed to do twice over and pinch the inner tube twice when fitting a new set of tyres. Really annoyed with myself for doing it twice. Inner tube was well ripped and couldn’t be patched.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Don't worry about over inflating the tire as the MAX pressure on the side of the tyre is 50% of the pressure that the tyre can take BEFORE it blows off the rim during testing.
So if the tyre states 85psi max you can put up to 170psi before it blows off the rim.
You only need to go to around 120psi to get it seated the first time, after that it will seat easier at a lower pressure.
HTH
P.S.
If that don't seat it then take it back as it's faulty!

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
They can just sort themselves out after a couple of rides
They usually do. They warm up quite quickly and become more supple which helps them get onto the rim. The problem is that sometimes the bulge is due to a section of the inner tube being trapped between the bead and the rim, in which case the tube explodes with a very, very loud bang. I always try and check for trapped tubes but sometimes it's dark, raining, and I'm in a hurry so I don't take as much care as I should.
Inflating the tyre and then letting it down (without riding) often gets the bead to seat.

2old2care

Über Member
I bought two of these tyres when they first came out, great in the respect of ride and grip, but absolutely useless as regards punctures (run tubeless) and an egg developed on one tyre which was situated where the carcass was joined, so a manufacturing fault. Ended up throwing them away as I couldn't trust them, pity as they were only a couple of months old. Never again.

I bought two of these tyres when they first came out, great in the respect of ride and grip, but absolutely useless as regards punctures (run tubeless) and an egg developed on one tyre which was situated where the carcass was joined, so a manufacturing fault. Ended up throwing them away as I couldn't trust them, pity as they were only a couple of months old. Never again.
Pretty much my experience of them as well.

What do you mean by "where the carcass was joined"? Where is this joint.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yawn. I don't know how many times I have to type this in cycling forums but the answer is TALC.

Best natural dry lubricant for rubber known to man. Sprinkle it liberally and rub it into the tyre bead. Half inflate then run the wheel along the ground for a few turns. Inflate fully.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Morning all,

Just wanted to give an update on this. Using soapy water worked a treat, now the wheels spin perfectly even the whole way around.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

I'll also be trying the talc method in the future!

Velochris

Über Member
I find this problem happening more over the last few years. Never had it at all until I bought a few different new wheels over the last few years.

I think it is changes in rim design, to enable a rim to fit tubed and tubeless tyres. The change means the tyre "bead" does not slip to the ede of the rim in places. It gets stuck and folds under itself slightly. Hence why talc/soapy water helps.

Top Bottom