New wheels, tyre won't fit without 'bulges'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Not soapy water, pleeeeease! If you use dishwash detergent, it contains salt as a thickener - do you really want to leave your inner tubes and inside the rim wet with salty water?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Not soapy water, pleeeeease! If you use dishwash detergent, it contains salt as a thickener - do you really want to leave your inner tubes and inside the rim wet with salty water?

Does washing-up liquid damage your vehicle? We asked Dr Bob Eden BSc MSc PhD MICorr (Member of the Institute of Corrosion) for the truth:
image001-150x150.jpg “Washing up liquid does contain a ‘salt’ but this is the active ingredient and should not be confused with road salt. There is nothing in a washing-up liquid that will exacerbate corrosion – there’s no sodium chloride salt to worry about. The issue regarding corrosion is the ‘chloride’ bit of the salt. In ‘chloride nests’ at the base of a corrosion pit, the chloride exists as hydrogen chloride, which in damp conditions creates a solution of dilute hydrochloric acid, and it’s this acid that does the damage. You need to avoid ‘chloride’ from any and all sources, e.g. seawater, road grit and fish & chips (but not washing up liquid).

Does washing-up liquid damage your vehicle? We asked Dr Bob Eden BSc MSc PhD MICorr (Member of the Institute of Corrosion) for the truth:
View attachment 503318 “Washing up liquid does contain a ‘salt’ but this is the active ingredient and should not be confused with road salt. There is nothing in a washing-up liquid that will exacerbate corrosion – there’s no sodium chloride salt to worry about. The issue regarding corrosion is the ‘chloride’ bit of the salt. In ‘chloride nests’ at the base of a corrosion pit, the chloride exists as hydrogen chloride, which in damp conditions creates a solution of dilute hydrochloric acid, and it’s this acid that does the damage. You need to avoid ‘chloride’ from any and all sources, e.g. seawater, road grit and fish & chips (but not washing up liquid).
That guy needs to now go and get a PhD in literacy so that he can string a few sentences together so that they mean something. The text above is absolutely meaningless. It amounts to Yes/No/OK/Why?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't think so but that's what comes to mind when people talk about fitting tight tyres.

You could use soap or shampoo I suppose but soap is strongly alkaline and shampoo also contains salt.

si_c

Guru
View attachment 503318 “Washing up liquid does contain a ‘salt’ but this is the active ingredient and should not be confused with road salt. There is nothing in a washing-up liquid that will exacerbate corrosion – there’s no sodium chloride salt to worry about. The issue regarding corrosion is the ‘chloride’ bit of the salt. In ‘chloride nests’ at the base of a corrosion pit, the chloride exists as hydrogen chloride, which in damp conditions creates a solution of dilute hydrochloric acid, and it’s this acid that does the damage. You need to avoid ‘chloride’ from any and all sources, e.g. seawater, road grit and fish & chips (but not washing up liquid).
I hate it when people do qualification bingo. I'm sure he was desperate to put pencil monitor on there too.

2old2care

Über Member
What do you mean by "where the carcass was joined"? Where is this joint.
The carcass joint is visible from the inside of the tyre, it’s on a diagonal, which gives it more surface area and therefore a stronger joint.

Don't think so but that's what comes to mind when people talk about fitting tight tyres.

You could use soap or shampoo I suppose but soap is strongly alkaline and shampoo also contains salt.
I still wouldn`t really worry too much about a bit of salt in the soap, after all it sprays up from the roads during the winter, and drips off of me all over the bike in warmer weather. I would think that those two things combined would be a bigger punishment to the bike?

The carcass joint is visible from the inside of the tyre, it’s on a diagonal, which gives it more surface area and therefore a stronger joint.
No, that's wrong. There is no joint in a bicycle tyre because it is made from a continuous length of fibre that swings from left to right, making a U-turn over the bead in order to change direction. The bias is 35.4 degrees.

If you disagree, show us a photo of the "joint" in your tyre. BTW, it is a casing, not a carcass. The latter lives in abattoirs.

2old2care

Über Member
No, that's wrong. There is no joint in a bicycle tyre because it is made from a continuous length of fibre that swings from left to right, making a U-turn over the bead in order to change direction. The bias is 35.4 degrees.

If you disagree, show us a photo of the "joint" in your tyre. BTW, it is a casing, not a carcass. The latter lives in abattoirs.
I’d love to show a photo of the joint as I call it but I threw the tyres away. Casing/carcass whatever, and the word carcass can be used to refer to not just one thing.
I find your manner offensive, rude and pedantic

Top Bottom