New wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Pandy

I am thinking about upgrading the wheels on my pompino. As my commute is only 11 miles in total, I am probably swayed more by looks (hi flange, deep v rims) than performance. I don't need Phil wood hubs, just something that looks as good. I want something reasonably cheap (around the £150 mark). Anyone any thoughts. I like the look of the navigator pista alu track wheels, but some of the reviews have suggested they are a little fragile. My LBS has some system x hubs on mavic open pros. What do ya think?

Will1985

Über Member
Handbuilt Open Pros or CXP33s on Miche hubs?

Pottsy

I have Open Pros on Goldtec hubs on my Pompino. I can't remember the exact price but it's certainly a bit beyond your budget. Great wheels and look good too IMO if you can stretch to the additional cost...

Will1985

Über Member
Open Pros have double eyelets which supposedly make the overall wheel stronger. They are also lighter than the CXP33s, but have a shallower profile.

On close up looks alone, I feel my rear OP rim (on Miche hub) looks stronger than my front CXP33 (also on Miche hub).

kyuss

Veteran
Have you seen the new Halo track wheels?. They were reviewed quite favourably in C+ recently. Halo have a good reputation in the MTB world too so if they have carried over the quality into their road wheels they should be pretty bombproof. And why would anyone not want dayglo yellow wheels? :smile: I'm hopefully getting a Fuji Track soon and these may well be the first upgrade.

kyuss

Veteran
Oops. Sorry. ;)

Kurt

I've got one of the On One track hubs, built up with plain gauge stainless spokes and an Open Pro on my Pomp (which is my only bike now due to thieving scum:angry:). Can't fault it. My wheel builder said how nice the hub was and couldn't believe it was only £15. With parts and building the whole thing came to about £70, so c £140 for a pair although I've got an old QR road wheel on the front at the moment.

Peace

Kurt

OP
OP
Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy

I went for miche hubs on open pro's in the end, £76 for the rear wheel. Will change the front wheel to the same next month.

ASC1951

Guru
kyuss said:
Oops. Sorry. ;)
Unknown to you and possibly the site itself, it was passing on the XP Service Centre Hijacker. Resistent to Spybot, AdAware etc and surprisingly cunning at disabling online scanners like Trend. It took me all evening to work out that the only way to deal with it was a System Restore to last Friday's configuration.

I feel a lot calmer now, Doctor.

PapaZita

Guru
Has anyone else tried the hubs from londonfixiebike.co.uk? It's an XT front hub with a cog screwed to the brake disc mounts, and a replacement solid axle with spacers up to 120mm.

I've built mine on an Open Pro. I also went for a dishless wheel with a 46mm chainline, which can be achieved just by swapping a few spacers around. It's still less than a hundred miles old, but seems OK so far.

PZ.

Top Bottom