New Wind 'App'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothercraig

Hi Guys

I wonder if you could offer some feedback, I am in the process of developing an application which is about to go live on the Apple App Store and before it does I'd just like to know if there are any 'tweaks' or improvements I haven't thought about.

The application will allow users to input a postcode and be shown (real-time data) there local (and national if you zoom out) wind speed and direction, the idea came around when I was training on the MTB and finding myself going out in some pretty serious headwinds (which we all know isn't much fun).

I don't expect this to prevent riders from going out on windy days but perhaps knowing which direction to set off in and knowing which direction you're most likely going to be hit from I think you'll agree would be handy.

As I mentioned the app is ready to go and all I'm doing is trying to get some ideas- if not for this rev then perhaps additions to rev B.

Thank you for taking the time to read and all feedback (positive or otherwise) is hugely appreciated.

Craig

Hi Guys

I wonder if you could offer some feedback, I am in the process of developing an application which is about to go live on the Apple App Store and before it does I'd just like to know if there are any 'tweaks' or improvements I haven't thought about.

The application will allow users to input a postcode and be shown (real-time data) there local (and national if you zoom out) wind speed and direction, the idea came around when I was training on the MTB and finding myself going out in some pretty serious headwinds (which we all know isn't much fun).

I don't expect this to prevent riders from going out on windy days but perhaps knowing which direction to set off in and knowing which direction you're most likely going to be hit from I think you'll agree would be handy.

As I mentioned the app is ready to go and all I'm doing is trying to get some ideas- if not for this rev then perhaps additions to rev B.

Thank you for taking the time to read and all feedback (positive or otherwise) is hugely appreciated.

Craig

No need. The wind on a bike is always an againsterly ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
Not something I would be using, a glance out the window at wind effect on tree branches and sea condition provides sufficient information for me to make the decision to cycle or not to cycle.

OP
OP
A

anothercraig

Not something I would be using, a glance out the window at wind effect on tree branches and sea condition provides sufficient information for me to make the decision to cycle or not to cycle.

I think this app is more geared towards folks (like myself) who either have the intention to drive to a ride- not on my doorstep, or people not living on the seafront ;)
Thanks for the feedback.

Manonabike

Über Member
Even if your application helps deciding what direction to set off..... one always has to come back and the chances are you don't have much of a choice then.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Pretty pointless app as far as I am concerned. Just as easy to look at the weather forecast.
And where are you taking this wind speed information from? There's no way you can accurately predict a local wind strength and direction from knowing the postcode surely.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The met office gives hourly wind readings

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/shap_latest_wind.html

I guess the app will just pull info from the web from various sources. combine it with a postcode location, and give you the latest reading. Fun maybe, but not all that useful since a) the Met doesn't have many locations and b) the wind is ALWAYS against you ;)

Even if your application helps deciding what direction to set off..... one always has to come back and the chances are you don't have much of a choice then.

I usually choose my route so that I head out into the wind so that I return with it hopefully behind me. Its just easier not to have a strong headwind at the end of a ride.

OP
OP
A

anothercraig

I usually choose my route so that I head out into the wind so that I return with it hopefully behind me. Its just easier not to have a strong headwind at the end of a ride.

Agreed! This app's intention is to allow people to make an formed decision about their direction etc, personally I tend to ride long distance and catch a train back- a lot of the guys I have gone out with do the same. This app will show you if your intended ride is going to be made infinitely harder by the wind.
I have to admit I hadn't come across 'windguru' but having had a look at their app I'm not sure their layout etc is particularly user friendly- neat app though.

OP
OP
A

anothercraig

Or you can use Wunderground and tap into all the home weather enthusiasts data.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=53.348&lon=-3.009&zoom=13 <-- adjust location accordingly.

As for riding out and getting the train home, I honestly don't know one single person who does that unless they have a severe mechanical.

Seriously? I'd go crazy just doing the same routes in the same area all the time. Pre-book a single back from your destination (if you book ahead it's nice and cheap). Have you not known people to do London-Paris, Essex-Newcastle etc?

dodgy

Yes, seriously. I'd say that the quantity of keen cyclists that cycle out and train back are in the minority. I don't know anyone that does that at all. London - Paris is not really your run of the mill ride out, either.

Top Bottom