New year sales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm getting really itchy fingers to buy a new bike and I've finally got the money in place. Like most people though I want the most bang for my buck and really don't want to find that there is a quickfire sale knocking a chunk off. I'm looking at a road bike from cannondale or more likely specialized, 2015 model so not likely to be reduced much.

Any thoughts? Hang on for a fortnight just in case?

Ern1e

Über Member
If it was me then yes I would ! you never know what may happen.

Dave7

Legendary Member
TBH.........to my knowledge they dont seem to discount them much in January. I obviously can't say for definite (so for your sake hope I'm wrong).
Some shops may give % discount but the main % discount comes from the manufacturer---and that comes around Sept/Oct when the "next years" models come in and they are selling of the last of "this years".
It is worth looking at some of the bigger stores i.e. Evans etc. as they are desparately getting rid of the few remaining 2014 bikes and you may be lucky to get exactly what you want in your size.
e.g. Giant Concept stores are giving a massive 40% of the few remaining 2014 bikes they have.
Good Luck with your search.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Pah I would skip waiting and buy something from last year now at 30-40% off.
You've already mentioned that the discounts will be minimal if at all- and including delivery you could wait for another month for the sake of a few quid.
Push the button or pop to your LBS and you can be out over the Xmas break.

bpsmith

Veteran
Most definitely agree with the above. Heavily discount 2014 or, if you just have to have the 2015 version, just go and get it!

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I'm looking at a Tamac or a Supersix evo £1500- £2000 ish. There have been significant changes to spec- which make the 2015 ones just as good value as the discounted 2014 ones as far as I can see.

For example the Tarmac sport has new 11 speed 105, and pretty much a complete gearset for £1500. Last years sport has 10 speed 105 and more cut price parts, with the best price being £1280.

Its the same with the comp, complete Ultegra, better wheels at £2000 with the 2014 comp about £1800 without the complete gearset and with poorer quality wheels.

The same applies with the supersix. So better spec and keener prices on both of these models means the 2015s are just as good a deal as the 2014s.

My last bike was the last of the 9 speed Tiagras on a runout deal. I appreciated the discount at the time, but later regretted I didn't have the 10 speed version.

vickster

Legendary Member
Best just to go to your lbs and try to haggle, although with specialized you'll struggle unless a national promotion. Maybe they've realised that they cant continue to underspec their bikes compared to the competitors, however good their claim the frame to be, not like cannondale are rubbish!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Or even wait till after x mas when people might be flogging their old stuff cheap ?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Black and 105 would nix that for me, but sounds a good deal if it's what you want
I want a Norco Threshold but it's 285 more so out of my budget. The PX has a better gear set, it's lighter and a great bike. I test rode one when I Hubster bought me a new bike. I can live with the black and will put funky coloured bar tape etc on it.

Went down to my lbs who is a giant dealer today and he said he would knock £80 off on the new giant defy 1,which is quite a bargain as i have not seen any discounts yet on the 2015 models.
While i was there he showed me a 2014 defy 3 composite which is knocked down to £989 but on coming home and looking around the web these are going for as little as £799.
Has anyone had one of these bikes and would you get it over the new defy 1?
I know you only get 20 speed tiagra compared to the new shiny 22 speed 105 but what is the frame like and is it true carbon?.

Top Bottom