England : Greater Manchester New Years day ride around Mancunia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Here it is folks! My eagerly awaited annual forum ride to see in the new year. Due to complaints suggestions from other forum members it has been decided that we will avoid the ruddy great hills of Derbyshire that are the usual NYD playground and instead opt for something with less vertical challenge.

This year's route will be ideal for all my fellow Manchester based CycleChatters as it involves a Clockwise circumnavigation of the Greater Manchester conurbation of a roughly M60 sized loop. I will be the first to admit it won't be as scenic as the previous rides but it will take in some of the iconic sights of the area (when I can think what they are I will make a list :thumbsup:). The riding conditions will probably be fairly described as 'urban' and maybe even 'gritty industrial' but for any battle hardened commuters it will feel like home from home and is probably my favourite kind of road riding.

The plan is to meet at the windmills outside M&S in central Manchester for a 9.30am departure. The usual forum ride rules apply, it's not a race and no one gets left behind. I am not sure where yet but there WILL be a stop for cake and coffee at least once and the total loop is about 60 miles.

THIS IS THE PLANNED ROUTE (subject to amendments).

400bhp

Guru
Great stuff fella
Why is there a "weight" option on the left of the screen and (more importantly) is that at 65kg's? :whistle:

Can we add/make some suggested changes to the route?

1. Go around the airport (divert somewhere near cheadle Hulme) and/or;
2. go through Withy Park

got a few others but will let you decide whether we can look to tweak the route?

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why is there a "weight" option on the left of the screen and (more importantly) is that at 65kg's? :whistle:
It is a scale of truth! Potsy sees 3 figures :tongue:
Can we add/make some suggested changes to the route?

1. Go around the airport (divert somewhere near cheadle Hulme) and/or;
2. go through Withy Park
I like the idea of going past the airport, it is a short jump from the Bruntwood Park café. I still need to get in touch with the café to see if they are open, I hope they are because they do an OK full English :hungry:

potsy

Rambler
I have just spoken to the staff at The Vinery in Bruntwood Park and they assure me they are open at 12-midday on New Year's day. That will be just perfect, if we set off at 9.30 it gives us 2½ hrs to do about 28 miles which won't be a challenging pace at all.
Speak for yourself :whistle:

Depending on numbers would you mind a few none CC'ers coming along if they can?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It might end up being a case of me driving to my Grans (Stretford) and cycling in (just for parking reasons).

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I like the sound of this but I won't be able to participate since I lead a New Year's day ride from Chorlton CH out to Mobberley and back.
Traditionally (we've done it three times) we go to the Railway.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I like the sound of this but I won't be able to participate since I lead a New Year's day ride from Chorlton CH out to Mobberley and back.
Traditionally (we've done it three times) we go to the Railway.
Oi! On your bike sonny. Don't come around here trying to poach my punters with the promise of a cool refreshing pint to be enjoyed during the ride. It ain't gonna happen so sling your hook!

A New Year's day ride is about pain and misery, paying for the indulgence of the festive frivolities and setting a precedent for the activities of the year ahead. Fun and drinking have no place in this! :stop:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It might end up being a case of me driving to my Grans (Stretford) and cycling in (just for parking reasons).
I was going to suggest you hooked up with a forum member from that side of M/cr for parking as parking in the centre would be expensive or impossible, but if you have family nearby then you are sorted :thumbsup:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Any NYD ride that doesn't include an ascent of Holme Moss is a mockery of the name and for that reason.......I'm out*

*actual reason may relate to holiday and nothing to do with mountains. Your statutory rights are unaffected
I think you make a fair point but I have to listen to the voice of the masses and they are asking for a 'softer' introduction to the year.

Your weak excuse about being on holiday is a very transparent attempt. I can see you are feared of riding in the Big Smoke and that is the true reason for your non-attendance :thumbsup:

Top Bottom