England : Greater Manchester New Years day ride around Mancunia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have just spoken to the staff at The Vinery in Bruntwood Park and they assure me they are open at 12-midday on New Year's day. That will be just perfect, if we set off at 9.30 it gives us 2½ hrs to do about 28 miles which won't be a challenging pace at all.

That'll be an "assured me they are open at 12-midday on New Year's day" type assurance just like Compo's café gave us last year :angry:
Joking aside, have a great ride. If there's any of your famous flapjack left over let's have a hilly one before you eat it all

Put me down as a probable,
I may have to go in to work at short notice,the joys of working for the NHS.
I'd recommend using the underpass at the M60 jtn near Heaton park,other than that the northern section looks ok

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've just spent far longer than I should have done going through the route with a fine tooth comb and making route notes to allow me to navigate without referring to a map. The amended route now includes a trip down the side of the airport runways (I think we can get through?) and has added nearly 5 miles :eek:

I am hoping to do a test ride tomorrow come rain or shine so should have a safe, known, ride ready to roll for NYD

HERE IS THE AMENDED ROUTE.

potsy

Rambler
Skolly, that is passable but I haven't been down it, Skud and 400bhp have, not sure if it's roadbike friendly or not as I think it's a bridal way.
I would suggest going up Mill Lane/Castle Mill lane instead of straight along Wilmslow rd/Hale rd but that's just personal preference as it would than include a nasty little hill ^_^

Looking forward to it.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Skolly, that is passable but I haven't been down it, Skud and 400bhp have, not sure if it's roadbike friendly or not as I think it's a bridal way.
I would suggest going up Mill Lane/Castle Mill lane instead of straight along Wilmslow rd/Hale rd but that's just personal preference as it would than include a nasty little hill ^_^

Looking forward to it.
With @400bhp anything is passable on a road bike. :whistle:

potsy

Rambler
With @400bhp anything is passable on a road bike. :whistle:
True, about time we did some off-roading anyway :thumbsup:

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I've just spent far longer than I should have done going through the route with a fine tooth comb and making route notes to allow me to navigate without referring to a map. The amended route now includes a trip down the side of the airport runways (I think we can get through?) and has added nearly 5 miles :eek:

I am hoping to do a test ride tomorrow come rain or shine so should have a safe, known, ride ready to roll for NYD

HERE IS THE AMENDED ROUTE.

I know that I've been told to butt out off this thread ;) but I've had a look at your route around the airport.
It's perfectly fine and do-able on a road bike although you'll be doing a bit of cyclocross after Moss Road. I rode this track in the opposite (uphill) direction on Sunday on slicks and it was fine.
When you get onto the A538 there are tunnels underneath the runways. I urge you very strongly to use the bike-path through them. The alternative is a dimly lit dual carriageway with poor sightlines and a 50mph speed limit where this:- http://epl.theoffside.com/clubs/manchester-united/ronaldo-in-ferrari-car-smash.html can happen.

Our slacker's ride will be crossing your route twice although I doubt that our timings will coincide.
Have a good one :thumbsup:.

400bhp

Guru
+1-fine so long as it's not dark, it hasn't been pishing down for 3 days before and you're careful.

Your route isn't quite right as you follow the road which is one of the airport service roads but it doesn't matter-it's obvious where to go.

In terms of @potsy's suggestion to go along Mill Lane, that's a good one but it may add a mile or 2 to the route. Another alternative is to go the way you guggest down the A538 (i.e go through the airport tunnels), then turn right on Runger Lane (off the roundabout), left after about half a mile onto Roaring Gate Lane, then Clay Lane into Timperley.

Actually you can also turn right just before Runger Lane (Sunbank Lane) and go through a gate which is only passable for cyclists/peds. Means missing out the roundabout which is a bonus.

400bhp

Guru
Oh, and while we are at it - when in timperley, go along Park Rd (not Brooklands Rd), turn right on Frieston Rd (just after thr tram stop) - use the little ped/cycle bridge at the end to get on Frieston Rd, turn left onto Eastway - across the A56 onto Woodhouse Lane, right at roundaboout onto Manor Ave, you then rejoin your route at Carrington Lane - much more fun.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi everyone

May be up for this, not sure as yet, also depends on the weather, my hands / feet can only take about an hour at 4c

I'll confirm the night before :smile:

John

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Your route isn't quite right as you follow the road which is one of the airport service roads..........

Actually you can also turn right just before Runger Lane (Sunbank Lane) and go.........
Oh, and while we are at it - when in timperley, go along Park Rd (not Brooklands Rd), turn right on ..........

Next year you can organise the route, Bl**dy smart ars3 :tongue:

I actually had a successful pre-event reality check today and completed the full loop without any problems. Only had to refer to my route notes a couple of times.

Starting point is outside The Triangle/Corn Exchange building so if you can't see something like this by 9.30am you're in the wrong place (the sheds should be gone by 1st Jan).
006800x600_zps88e2be59.jpg

007800x592_zps70db865d.jpg

The route around the north and east of Manchester is straight forward with just a short cheeky climb out of the valley at Daisy Nook to challenge us and, as @potsy has already pointed out, some nursery slopes to climb in the Bredbury/Stockport area (just little baby ones, honest :angel:).

The café stop at Bruntwood park is at the 28 mile mark and there is plenty of bike parking although I prefer to lock bikes up on the patio on the other side of the building where they can be watched from the eating area.
002800x600_zps73d180ee.jpg

During my visit today I also spotted that the café is licensed, I feel a glass of something white may be needed to see in the new year and help wash down the full English :cheers:

From Bruntwood Park we now leave via the main drive and turn towards the airport for the big change from the original route. The tracks down the side of the runway are indeed some sort of emergency access track although they do not appear to be gated and run outside the airfield fences.
003800x585_zps5d7ad78d.jpg

The airport orbital cycle route goes this way and there are two places where the official route leaves the emergency track. The first place is here and the path is well made with a firm crushed stone surface. This track shouldn't pose any problems for a road bike on skinny slick tyres.
004800x586_zpsb78d4751.jpg

I ignored the advice and decided to ride through the road tunnel under the runway as it gently curves to the right giving cars a good view of road ahead. One thing I did notice was how incredibly noisy it was with the trapped road noise from passing cars, as soon as they left the tunnel it was almost silent again.
I stuck to my planned route all the way to the Trafford Centre and was soon at our second café stop at Costa Coffee next door to Evans Cycles.
005800x589_zps9be59ed1.jpg

Even though this is only 19 miles after Bruntwood Park I strongly suggest we stop here for a rest because after this we have a fair bit of undulation as we return to the northern foot hills.

The final drag from Heaton Park back into Manchester is a steady drop (not that I could tell today as I was pretty wrecked and fighting a stern headwind). There are a couple of one way streets to contend with as we get close to the Co-op zone but it's an interesting way into the city that I haven't seen before.

A few points to make if you are joining us for the day.
  • Bring wet weather gear, it's a full day and the weather at this time of year can vary enormously during the day and from one side of the county to the other.
  • Bring lights, by 2.30 in the afternoon it was gloomy enough for me to put my lights on (and in the airport tunnel). With two café stops it could be properly dark by the time we are saying our goodbyes and heading home (and we might fancy a pint before we go our separate ways?).
  • Don't be late. I really don't like waiting around for people who should know better!

The Co op one way was created earlier this year, it is part of my commute to work. I can get us through that part of the ride ok! I also know the Bredbury bit quite well as that is near the end of my commute.
I like the idea of being able to see the bikes when we have a cafe stop. The second bike I had stolen this year was locked up outside a cafe in Blackpool, only 2 metres away from me when I was inside, but I could not see it. Two coffees later and it had gone, so I dont let mine out of my sight now, even when it is locked up.

Top Bottom