Newbee route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robidoo

Hi there I'm new to this forum but have ridden for years on and off.
Is there anyone who can point me to a site or maybe have a nice route from Worksop to Bridlington, hopefully avoiding the A614 and other busy roads?
Many thanks
Rob

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Is there anyone who can point me to a site or maybe have a nice route from Worksop to Bridlington, hopefully avoiding the A614 and other busy roads?
Many thanks
Rob
Have a look at cyclestreets.net. Its ''quietest'' and ''balanced'' routes here are quite different. https://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/65507551/#quietest

CXRAndy

Guru
Many thanks
Rob

I first use google maps in cycle mode routing, pretty good. You can pull the route around to suit you. If you have Strava, that has route builder, which uses data from lots of its users for the most common travelled routes,again you can pull the route to suit you. You can then upload to your device and have turn by turn notifications. Ridegps, Komoot are others.

C R

Guru
+1 for google maps in cycle mode here. I let it give me a rough route, and then I adjust some details here and there.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was planning something similar a couple of years ago. The thread I started is here, and some of the thinking may be of use.

In the map linked by @deptfordmarmoset, the orange route looks like a sensible starting point, but it'll give you some stiff climbing after Pocklington. Instead of heading towards Driffield you could take a more northerly arc, picking up a very nice valley road (which I rode in 2017) at Helpersthorpe and taking you almost to the finish.

If you keep to the east of the A614 after Boothferry Bridge, you'll get a much gentler crossing of the Wolds, and there are plenty of minor roads to choose from. There aren't many places to crossing the canal though, so you have to plan around that.

I don't know the area at all, but there seem to be some nice roads across the flatlands east of Doncaster which might be useful.

Am a fan of cycle.travel
I second this advice but then it is my site. :biggrin:

More seriously, cycle.travel combines the "pull the route to drag it around" approach of Google Maps with the "actually finds good routes" bit of CycleStreets, so you can plan a nice route without having the ever-present Google worry that it'll dump you onto an unrideable towpath or the A30. But CycleStreets is great too. If you want something really customisable then brouter.de is worth a look.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like Richard's cycle.travel site too. I use it to give me ideas for my routes and it has helped me find options that I hadn't previously spotted. I always take the route I end up with over to my Memory Map software to check on OS maps. I tidy up any bits and pieces that I am not happy with after checking them on Streetview. Some canal towpaths are very good, for example, while others are not. Currently Streetview doesn't cover many offroad paths though they are slowly being added to its coverage by people walking the routes with personal Streetview cameras.

You can often get an idea of towpath quality by using Streetview to look at the towpath from road bridges or nearby roads...

Top Bottom