Newbie 2W/3W Bent Blog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
So dear readers, after a visit to a good fastner dealer for the right length M8 steerer bolt i needed, i couldnt resist throwing the front end back together and having a quick spin with the USS arm in place. I must say its weird changing from one style to another but i quite like it already. Cant just be rebuilding the headset but the steering feels quite a bit more stable.

Sadly, the warped front disc is rubbing like a frustrated schoolboy and will be changed next.

But, whisper it quietly, Mag wheels arrived today and look ACE! So did the 451 tyre so that MUST be a good omen that its meant to be and will work. I didnt realise the size difference from the oem 20" which im hoping will be an aid? Piccies to follow.

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
A productive day in the garage already on Enterprise, warm weather and the arrival of my Ebay 2nd hand crankset, spurred me on nicely.

So, spare bars cut down and installed on the USS for a final test ride before I make the jump to light speed - lol - I wish.

They are a little over long I think but I'm feeling my way along with the install & working on instinct, which tells me too long can always be cut down.

A piccy of Enterprise as promised today:

P1020718 (Medium).JPG

Hard to see the USS so here is a full frontal:

P1020720 (Medium).JPG

I REALLY wanted to be able to angle the bars INWARDS but that aint gonna work as my outer thighs will strike them while pedalling - so be it.

The dynamo has been de-wired, with it tucked out of the way, because I've been working full steam ahead on this beauty as well....

P1020721 (Medium).JPG

So lovely that I dare not even unwrap it fully! the bearings feel accurate and smooth so I hope they stay that way. The other side of the hub edge and the disc mounting area are both unpainted which I find a bit of a worry as Ive had a Magnesium wheel on motorbike and know the many scare stories that go with them, a dab of paint might be in order. It is as light as 3 or 4 feathers, however but the tyre is SOOOO skinny compared to everything else Ive used so far.

The new wheel will have to wait however, until after another spin so I can get a definite feel for the USS.

Some interesting reading here:

http://www.longbikes.com/2/Faq/WhyRecumbent.html

Ciao Amigo's (yes, I do linguistic tricks too).

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
An afternoon in the garage tinkering can only be followed by an hour on the bike, what a laugh, two drivers went other side of traffic islands to 'avoid' me, quite considerate I suppose & two drivers stopped, separately, to take my photo!

Bike feels good so I'm going ahead with the full USS conversion, something is still not quite right elsewhere, the back end feels 'vague' at speed, not sure if its my seating position, or something else. Time to read up more on sorting out seat position anyways.

Next ride might well be ...

tumblr_ltue06oG5B1qd6v0do2_250.gif

Attachments

• tumblr_ltue06oG5B1qd6v0do2_250.gif
    tumblr_ltue06oG5B1qd6v0do2_250.gif
    477.2 KB · Views: 37
.....those mag wheels sure are the dogs dangly bits. Having only very recently built a LWB, I'm finding balance on first starting off takes some getting used to, still wobbly for me. Can only imagine it being more so on a SWB, especially with USS, so guess a lot to focus the mind there :unsure:

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Hi @FrankCrank a busy night in the garage last night too...

Speaking of which, new (to me) 52/42/30 crank installed, used rotor fitted to the Mag front and then, that too fitted.

Tiller and controls removed and test fitted to the USS, not quite right, needs to come off again before 'maiden' voyage, so while I collected my thoughts, seat removed for a check around.... now moved lower and a little more forward as I think I'm over-reaching a little while pedaling. Seems I have bad calve ache after most rides.

Bike looks much more futuristic with the front Mag wheel on .... I'm not sure the rear will actually fit, frame clearance is much less but, I also have a lovely roll of self-adhesive Carbon wrap sheet :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
WoW! So many changes thats its hard to quantify results. USS cables look like a busted spring going on under the bike, but its a necessary evil until I work out the control positions I prefer then, i might start cutting cables down.

A short ride, showed for this newby that I much prefer the higher cadence of the smaller front rings now.
Im not sure if its the lowered seat position (only a single cm if that) or the reduced resistance on the front wheel but the bike definitely feels faster and little more agile.

Very odd, having no tiller! But, USS just feels right to me already. I admit to feeling a little nervous on first start with so many changes made but the control felt easier after a few minutes, the advice to just use finger and thumb on the controls, if over compensating, paid dividends.

Ive left the quill stem in place, poking out of the forks, looking odd, as I might want to mount a camera or phone case somewhere nearby.

Cant believe the darn rain! I was looking forward to a longer test after work, tonight. Rain, rain, go away!!!

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Things are coming together at last!

Dry day + quiet BH roads = Bent time so, after a stalled start to hastily fit a bottle cage to the stem (as lowering the seat means the factory bottle cage is little use for a decent size bottle), camera on as well, Gimme a ride...

I'm gelling with the USS nicely now and not over-steering anymore, relaxing on the bike and trusting it to 'do the right thing' seems to pay dividends.

I am sliding forward in the seat and there is a definite 'shimmy' when I'm pushing bigger gears downhill (27mph recorded already, blimey), this disappears when coasting. Climbing is MUCH better with the new gearing, so much so that I dont want to take 'Enterprise' off the road again to sort the cables out under the seat, so I'm NOT going to - thats what cable ties were made for, weren't they?

Took a look at the rear Mag wheel last night, keen to put it on now as well to match the front. There is a lot of drag in the hub when turning it backwards but I can live with that. I have a feeling the rear mudguard will have to go and I'm not 100% it will fit at all.

A piccy from yesterdays spin:

IMG_0530.JPG

Cheers - Frank

Attachments

• IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 39
.....+1 for 'officially jealous' to be quite Frank :okay:

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Thanks gents Everyone,

To think I've only had the bike 6 weeks now, I'm astonished myself at the progress & my motorcycling has gone the back foot because of it.

I'm still nervous at mount / dismount time esp. with the loose disc cables up front so that must be sorted before I damage one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Tiny update, front Mech adjustments in progree that I think will take ALL WEEK at this rate!

New tyre and 11-34 cassette ordered as I'm itching to try the rear Mag wheel install (dont I like giving myself work LoL).

Oh yes, 170mm offset LH crank leg install to aid with my physical issues - still to try.

Grazie :laugh:

Top Bottom