Newbie 2W/3W Bent Blog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Little by Little.

Decided to make what I have work, especially as the XT mech looks so good. It certainly gives the swing I need but I had to hand drill a 4mm hole in the chainstay (weird angle and no clearance for anything electrical) and then tap it out to 5mm - took me a few hours of re-learning but patience triumphed & the cable stop has a new home.

Can a master chain link be reused?

I imagine it shouldnt be, I put the old one back in while trying to get the tension/length correct. Hope to make time tomorrow for more space-dock work ;)

fixedfixer

Veteran
You can re reuse the master links. Sounds like you are getting there with the improvements and best of all enjoying tinkering with the bike.

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
I am enjoying learning about the bike but find the slow progress frustrating at times, I guess thats the price to pay for a custom fit.

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
I'm on the road again.....

Loveely XT front mech fitted, some tidying work done and nearly perfect but bizarrely great in granny and big rings but catches the cage in middle!

Just been out for a ride tonight and my legs are definitely improving, pushing bigger gears now and finally conquered the biggest hill on my small loop, without stopping, quite chuffed. One unexpected problem with low sun in my eyes. Cant lower my helmet visor as I cant see the road, even squinting wearing yellow tinted glasses I felt quite vulnerable once or twice.

Spare rear Mag wheel arrived today, I will be trying mounting the disc FIRST, before I go any further. I think I have a wheel truing stand somewhere I bought for a song, so that will get pressed into service..

Here is a Toxy photo that my intrigued buddy wanted to Take:

073.JPG

The cable routings still need some work.

Cheers - Frank

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Enterprise, reborn.

Well, Enterprise-C (for Cyclechat!), tried a minor change of adding a foam bar grip, only £2 a set from Wilco's, nice alteration. Wipped the back wheel out and tried the disc on the new Mag wheel. Cant believe that wheel wasnt right either!!! Disc mounting holes have been drilled wrongly (off centre). After hours wasted realigning the rear caliper to compensate, i got it to a useable fit, in that the disc only catches the pads a little.
A little ride had me feeling so cumfy, maybe from riding two days in a row. Rolls nicely on the 451 wheels now.

Happy days.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, the main problem is that the website doesn't quite match the store range... and most of their staff are employed for car knowledge, but at least the store near me doesn't make any pretence of cycling expertise, unlike a certain larger car spares chain...

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Oddly, my Wilko track pump 'popped' on me last night but they swapped it out for the last one in stock for me, nice service.

I went out for a ride on my trusty (but unused for a year) Kona MTB, curious to see how my legs would cope now on a DF, OK as it happens, enjoyed the ride but not the sore arse and aching wrists after 8 miles that passed surprisingly quickly.

Funny how riding a HPV is changing my perception of bike riding...

Ciao for now.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Seems to be some confusion above about Wilco (Motor parts) and Wilko (Wilkinson's)
Both can be useful for fairly basic cycle essentials.....but they're 2 different companies.

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Gotta say Im impressed with todays purchase of a Garmin Edge 200, used it already! Only a 5.5m dash but sea fog was coming in so I thought I'd better high-tail it back home again. Ave speed, 9mph (must try harder) Maximum 30.2 mph - yeee Haaaa. Interesting to see I can spin over quite smoothly at 4mph but ANY less than that and steering control becomes 'somewhat difficult'. Excellent piece of kit.

Please feel free to make your own captions from todays mission:

Toxy at Monk.jpg

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Time to admit I am struggling getting a decent distance on 'Toxy'. Ive not even broken 10 miles yet & very little seems to be getting easier. Cadence is slower now as I'm pushing bigger gears, the 11-34 gearing helping no end.
Sadly, at recommended tyre pressures the USS is VERY nervous no matter how light I try to be with the controls.
Might as well finish all my whining at once, instant hills from the front door are killing me, no option to go around either, just postpones the pain a little longer.

I know getting out and doing it, is the only answer - time will tell.

Cheers

Time to admit I am struggling getting a decent distance on 'Toxy'. Ive not even broken 10 miles yet & very little seems to be getting easier. Cadence is slower now as I'm pushing bigger gears, the 11-34 gearing helping no end.
Sadly, at recommended tyre pressures the USS is VERY nervous no matter how light I try to be with the controls.
Might as well finish all my whining at once, instant hills from the front door are killing me, no option to go around either, just postpones the pain a little longer.

I know getting out and doing it, is the only answer - time will tell.

Cheers

Keep going! When I started last November I took the 'bent to a nearby very quiet and flat lane, with a dead end so that there would be minimal traffic. It took me about half a dozen half-hour sessions before I felt confident enough to try slightly busier lanes - and I have OSS. (and that was after a week rolling around my close with no traffic at all!)

My first rides were no more than a couple of miles, and it wasn't until mid-January that I broke 30 miles - so maybe 2 months in and with probably 100 miles under my tyres. I can now easily do 100k. I still get nervous in traffic and the Anglesey audax was a bit fraught until the peloton dropped me and I had clear roads around me. Sometimes the OSS still bites me and I have a wobble, I've largely got used to steering, but at low speeds it's still sensitive - don't pull on the bars! I suspect the USS is much more sensitive. If you can ride uphill at 4mph that's an achievement - uphill at 3mph I'm starting to get nervous - but downhill I can crawl at maybe 1mph - so you seem to be mastering the USS.

Why are you pushing bigger gears? You have a triple up front, with a 30/34 you should have around a 25" bottom gear - that should help you to spin. You need the higher cadence - pushing a high gear uphill will not help balance, knees or stamina.

It really does take time to develop new leg muscles - mine feel to be a very different shape now compared to the pre-'bent era. And that's taken me maybe 1400 miles now over 7 months.

If you can, I'd take the bike somewhere with some flatter, quiet roads and just get some miles in without the additional challenge of spinning up a hill at low speed - that's bound to sap your confidence. Must be some seafront rides around Hartlepool where you can build up some experience.

Keep going - that's a really good looking bike and you need to be out mile-munching. You'll get there - it just takes time and I suspect the USS is giving you a steeper learning curve than an OSS would have.

Top Bottom