Newbie 2W/3W Bent Blog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Since I was making no more progress on the shifting, I thought I'd try the rear wheels install...

P1020733 (Medium).JPG

Sorry Ladies and Gents but the rear wheel had to come straight back out again!

Some measuring to do but, I'm pretty sure the disc mounting flange has been machined incorrectly and is distorting my disc. It was prefect on the original wheel but now is not only catching the pads but one point was rubbing the machined bridge on the caliper ABOVE the pads.

Shame, as I think it modernises the bike nicely.

I know the 451 wheel is bigger than the OEM but laughably, the Mag wheel (I only weighed the rear) is a measly 150 grams lighter than the spoked wheel once all the hardware is mounted.

I feel about as miserable as the weather at the moment :sad:

we have complete faith in you and will overcome this wee problem , mm looked nice with the old set of wheels lol

....find it hard to believe that the wheel left the factory badly machined, but guess it could happen.

As you said, first step would be to check a few measurements and compare the 2 wheels. Crucial one, I think, will be the distance between the cassette splines (shoulder end) and brake rotor mounting surface. Would be nice to think this was a standard measurement on any wheel, but the bike industry right now has gone berserk with trying to change the status quo with seeming endless new standards.

Hope it works out for you, them there wheels sure look pretty.........

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Thanks @FrankCrank, measuring the face to caliper mount distance only ocurred to me in bed last night LoL
It must be the right way to check!

Dont know why but i started measuring the raised depth of each ridge where a disc bolt goes in, i did have the wheel in and out half a dozen times by this point, so probably couldnt face it again.

The disc rotor im sure is perfectly flat as ive tried laying it on a sheet of glass, which i was assurred is a good trick for checking for true?

I knew there was going to be trouble straight way as the disc was slightly off center in its mounts, such a shame where the front wheel was perfect.

fixedfixer

Veteran
The brake caliper is usually mounted using slots that allow it to be set in the correct place. I assume you have the same size disc as original?
Apologies in advance if I've not understood the problem.

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
'Interesting' weekend. Turns out the rear Mag wheel is faulty, sadly. Run-out on the disc was 1.5mm when measured at the edge, zero when fitted back in the original wheel. Seems the disc holes were even off centre as well.

Old wheel back in and a usable bike available once again.

Counted the chain links in an effort to take advantage of the last 3 for 2 offer at Halfords. 136 is the magical but awkward number as it seems to be a little more than twice the normal chain length!

Mix up at Halfords however, looked like they had a front mech I wanted, even from a stock search but It now turns out that was warehouse stock and local stock isnt shown until an order is placed :angry:

So, no purchase at all there.

Nice night so the USS Enterprise was brought out of space-dock. Really enjoy the few miles until Chav car drivers in the area started spoiling it. Even dug my old heart rate monitor out, 165 max and pushing bigger gears than before with only one stop on the very steepest hill. Quietly pleased.

Reactions: mjr
......that's a real shame. Will you seek redress from the suppliers?, after all the rear wheel sounds like it was not fit for purpose all along. If they were the cheaper nylon type mags, it would be less of a surprise, but those look a cut above. At least you're back at the helm and boldly going where no man has swept the floor :okay:

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
boldly going where no man has swept the floor :okay:

@FrankCrank thats excellent! I like that.

Yes, the back wheel is a real shame, I'll be asking for a replacement first I think but, I really like the front - typical.

One funny episode from last night. I didnt realise how hot I was getting at sub-light speed until I got back home. There were little pools of water in my jacket under the elbows LOL. So much for Aldi's 'breathable' top, dunno about THAT claim.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Shame the wheel was faulty - you can't fault how they look on the bike. Hope you get a good replacement and are able to keep the style.

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Small victories.

Nice early parcel today from Chain Reaction, XT front mech, bottle cage and the aforementioned 136 link chain (seems very short, not had it all out yet, I count two pins as ONE link - I hope manufacturers do, too!).

Full cage bottle holder removed previously as nothing would fit after lower the seat, found an Elite bottle cage that is 'side entry', (2/3rd's of a cage) but when spaced out a little, works a treat. Another reason to make this work is that the quill steam that I had zip tied a cage to was seriously hampering getting on/off the bike, so its gone - a little star embossed rubber plug, doing magnificent duty of filling the void.

XT mech, or more precisely FD-M771 (lets keep the space theme going, sounds like a distant Galaxy to me). A little object of beauty. No instructions. Odd that the exact model WASNT on the Shimano downloads page but, I found it elsewhere. Must say I'm disappointed the back of the cage is riveted, nasty penny pinching. The ancient Deore I took off, had a counter-sunk screw so that breaking the chain wasnt necessary - Pah!

I was so pleased with myself for Dremmelling the gear cable outer and making a good job of not damaging the inner but it all dwindled when I saw what I'd taken on - seems one change always impacts innumerable others!

I wish I'd done more research and spec'ed a front mech with a built in cable stop, the XT WILL WORK but a cheap alloy cable stop has been, a bit amateurishly bolted onto the chain stay in a poor orientation that I think I will need to rectify.

Not sure I can make a 5mm tap, so will have to re-read that - someone please tell me of a good mech with a built in cable end stop ;)

Top Bottom