Newbie - hybrid or cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fras08

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm planning to get a bike through the cycle to work scheme so my purchase options are limited to Evans or Halfords (which a quick scroll through discussions on here seems to be a no-no). Alternatively, I might just go it alone and get one away from the scheme.

I visited Evans and they pointed me towards a cyclocross (this one, to be precise: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/feather-cx-13-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec055437) but I want to be sure that wasn't just salesman spiel. I had initially been considering a road bike but that might be going too far, too soon and I have to admit that I am put off by the clip-in pedals.

I'm 6"5 so I don't particularly want to be folded in two to get a comfortable riding position.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

L14M

Über Member
What sort of riding is it for?

Liam

vickster

Legendary Member
Boardman bikes get great reviews, don't discount on the basis of halfords. There are quote a few independent retailers that take halfords c2w vouchers depending on where you live :smile:

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The hybrids are both fitted with triple chain rings - that'll give you lower gears than are available on the cyclocross bike you linked to (you can get road bikes/cyclocross bikes/tourers with triples too though). If you've reasonable fitness, or aren't tackling crazy hills, you may not need those low gears though.

As Vickster says, don't write off Halfords - but ime, it may be worth budgeting a little (either payment to an LBS, or beer for a friend who knows bikes) to get someone knowledgable to check over the build.

The Cyclocross bike looks like the more versatile of the three to me (but then I don't like riding long distances on flat bars). Drop bars don't necessarily mean a head down, racy riding position - their main advantage is different grip positions for your hands (and the ability to ride out of the wind, in the drops on windy days).

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

Thanks for the advice, John the Monkey and Vickster. I took a look at Halfords' Boardman bikes (online) - great looking bikes but they don't appear to do any above 54cm, which will be too small for me I think. I'll try contacting them to check that is the case.

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

By the way, the LBS said they could do the Trek 7.2 disc for £425. Seems a fairly reasonable price.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice, John the Monkey and Vickster. I took a look at Halfords' Boardman bikes (online) - great looking bikes but they don't appear to do any above 54cm, which will be too small for me I think. I'll try contacting them to check that is the case.

Boardman bikes have funny sizing. A L will be a decent size (look on the Boardman site for details I think)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
By the way, the LBS said they could do the Trek 7.2 disc for £425. Seems a fairly reasonable price.

£50 under RRP, according to the website. Again, not my cup of tea, but a couple of people at work ride the non disc version, and they seem happy to recommend them.

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

I called Halfords to ask about the sizing on the Boardman bikes as there's nothing above 54 on their website and I couldn't find any info on the Boardman website. They can order a 57.5 frame in to store for me to check out, with no obligation to buy.

Any thoughts on these over the other options above?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_992052_langId_-1_categoryId_165534 (tyres less versatile?)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_875983_langId_-1_categoryId_165534 (anyone with experience with the suspension?)

Top Bottom