Newbie - hybrid or cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fras08

fras08

That is pretty tasty, Vickster. I would probably only go to that price if I was getting something through Cycle2Work, which wouldn't enable me to get that. Off my own back, I'd probably go to 500 bucks max.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I called Halfords to ask about the sizing on the Boardman bikes as there's nothing above 54 on their website and I couldn't find any info on the Boardman website. They can order a 57.5 frame in to store for me to check out, with no obligation to buy.

Any thoughts on these over the other options above?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_992052_langId_-1_categoryId_165534 (tyres less versatile?)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_875983_langId_-1_categoryId_165534 (anyone with experience with the suspension?)

You probably need to think about what you're going to do with the bike. Either of those will be fine on road or towpaths - personally, I think suspension is just extra weight to lug around unless you're on properly rough stuff.

And yet another option...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_992074_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#tab3

Can you tell I'm not good with decisions?

That looks like a super bike to me - check whether it can take mudguards (if you're riding it in the wet) and think about whether you're happy with the double chainrings, or would prefer a triple.

vickster

Legendary Member
That is pretty tasty, Vickster. I would probably only go to that price if I was getting something through Cycle2Work, which wouldn't enable me to get that. Off my own back, I'd probably go to 500 bucks max.
Yes, I have one and it's great. I paid £450, ridden once, on eBay so keep an eye. As they are a bit more unusual, there won't be so much competition

Or buy new on finance or interest free credit

It has mudguards and a fixed rack. I am told that the gearing will get you up almost anything that a triple will...not hilly around here, don't think I have ever had to push it up a hill and I am not exactly designed for hill climbing! Naked it weighs a mere 10kg, even with hydraulic discs

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

I think it's time to do some more 'in the flesh' shopping this weekend. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted...

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

Well I've got a CX Comp (Extra Large frame) on order from Halfords that should be in store in the next day or so. No commitment to buy so I'll see how I feel on it.
Vickster, you should get commission from Whyte!

vickster

Legendary Member
I recommend whyte because I have one and it was by far the best bike for spec (carbon fork, discs) for the budget and it isn't black or grey :smile: Although as I bought (barely) used, technically they benefitted from the original owner

I like that they are a British company, even if like everything else now, the components come from overseas

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

So... I took the Boardman CX Comp for a spin around the car park and liked it. Particularly liked the fact it has brakes on the drop handles and flats. I could get that for £540 but have a £700 cyclescheme voucher for Evans en route. I am going to visit Evans again tomorrow to see if they offer any cyclocross with the two sets of brake handles (the pics online don't make it clear) - I know that the Fuji Feather doesn't. The appeal is that on more leisurely rides they would enable a more upright ride position.

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

Thanks very much, Vickster. I wasn't sure how easy/possible it was to add the cross levers. I read something on another site that said if they aren't there originally then it can be tricky.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't see why, should be easy for an LBS, may need to re do the cabling though. @jefmcg has just put new shifters on her bike with cross levers, maybe she can her :smile:

The only possible issue, is if you are narrow of shoulder and need narrow bars, you do end up with minimal space for lights and whatnot

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I can't see why, should be easy for an LBS, may need to re do the cabling though. @jefmcg has just put new shifters on her bike with cross levers, maybe she can her :smile:
Depending on how the bars were done originally, they might need rewrapping (the bulk of the brake outer cables will be under the handlebar tape).

Fras - as well as the tops (the bit of the bar that comes out at right angles to the stem) , you could try riding on the hoods (your hands are on the top bit of the bar, on top of the brake/shifter unit, in a sort of "handshake" position). You get the more upright position you'd have riding using the "tops" but better control of steering. You can brake and change gear from that position too.

Top Bottom