Newbie - hybrid or cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Definitely a doable chore, installing cross levers. You'd need to re-cable, and cut the outer that goes from the brifters, so almost certainly that would involve at least partially rewrapping the bars.

Caveat - not a bike mechanic by a long stretch, so maybe missing some huge problem that is not obvious if the levers are already in place.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've a Sirrus Elite Disc, great bike but you have a very upright position on it so not the best for bombing along I also have a Tricross and much prefer the riding style of that, also my Tricross came with cross levers

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all - you are wise like owls.

I thought I had it sussed. I've pretty much decided against the Fuji Feather and was going for the Boardman CX Comp. Now I've been sucked back in to looking at Specialized hybrids (Crosstrail Elite Disc or Sirrus Elite Disc) or even a road bike - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-c2-2014-road-bike-ec052336

Vickster, you should like it as there is a non-black option!
Nope, don't do specialized bikes now regardless of colour (although that one is black?!?!), find them utterly uninspiring and they are way too common on the roads around here ;)

Have you looked at genesis bikes?

Last edited:
Nope, don't do specialized bikes now regardless of colour (although that one is black?!?!), find them utterly uninspiring and they are way too common on the roads around here ;)

Have you looked at genesis bikes?
I loved my Sirrus but I'm going off them: 'the most stolen bikes', seeing the pics of a recent dramatic failure of a mates 400mile old Tamac SL4 and as you said they are way to common :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
I never loved either Sirrus, nor the crosstrail. I go into a concept store and get zero warm fuzzy feeling at all that should come from a large shop full of new shiny bikes! I do buy specialized clothing and kit if it is the right thing at the right price, but I'll never have a specialized bike again (not that I intend to change)

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you looking for a roadbike or a cx?

Are you buying fm halfords on c2w too

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

Due to some of the trails close to where I live, I would probably go for a CX more although I won't be doing any 'extreme' off road action.

I have a voucher for Evans en route but I've asked my HR dept about switching it to Halfords. They are the only two suppliers on offer. If it can't be changed, I will either go for the Specialized Crosstrail (don't hate me) or cancel the voucher and go it alone, which would limit my budget to £550 max and push me to the Boardman again.

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

Interesting that the Pinnacle CX in green looks good on the website - but, in 'real life' in the shop last night, I didn't like it at all.

I'll keep you posted on this never-ending saga...

OP
OP
fras08

fras08

Why forget the Boardman? Just an opinion thing?

The Genesis is a great looking bike, quite the head turner - but a road bike and rim brakes? I'd been planning on discs. It's £599.99 with Evans but they will price match Rutland.

HR dept have said they can't change the voucher to Halfords...

Top Bottom