Newbie in Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roxmo

Hi all,

Looking for someone to show me the ropes. I live in Manchester and I want to take advantage of the Peaks while I am here. I don't have a bike yet but I hope to buy one soon. If there is anyone out there that wouldn't mind me tagging along on a ride (and perhaps lending me a bike?) that would be great.

I am a pretty easy going, adventure seeking 28 year old female. I work as a researcher at the University of Manchester. I would like to try mountain biking a couple of times before I buy a bike so I know what I want in a bike.

Cheers,
roxmo

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Hello :welcome:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi roxmo - welcome to CycleChat!

I've a feeling it won't be too long before you get a few offers - adventure-seeking female cyclists are always fun to meet!

If you are aiming to borrow a bike, you need to tell us what size bike you need. How tall are you and what is your leg measurement?

Peter88

Veteran
Hi Roxmo welcome to Cycle Chat if you are in the north east of Manchester I can recommend Gery Shields in Failsworth. He will ask questions and point you in the right direction rather than sell a bike you won't be happy with in the long run.

OP
OP
R

roxmo

Hi,

Thanx for the welcome!

I am 5'3" and my inside leg is 27cm. Will these become my new vital statistics? :smile:

Cheers,
roxmo

Hicky

Guru
Hi all,

Looking for someone to show me the ropes. I live in Manchester and I want to take advantage of the Peaks while I am here. I don't have a bike yet but I hope to buy one soon. If there is anyone out there that wouldn't mind me tagging along on a ride (and perhaps lending me a bike?) that would be great.

I am a pretty easy going, adventure seeking 28 year old female. I work as a researcher at the University of Manchester. I would like to try mountain biking a couple of times before I buy a bike so I know what I want in a bike.

Cheers,
roxmo

Hello
Roxmo, PM inbound.....
I'm at Manchester Uni too, for buying bikes you have Harry Halls near the Ritz on Whitworth St, Evans on Deansgate, Edinburgh bikeshop and bike doctor in Rushomle.....however next to Sugden Sports centre there is the bike boutique where you can hire bikes or buy second hand(its worth a look).

Many places have hire facilities(Betsy-y-coed) for instance to use on the Marin trail.

Welcome btw.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi,

Thanx for the welcome!

I am 5'3" and my inside leg is 27cm. Will these become my new vital statistics? :smile:

Cheers,
roxmo
Unless you are very oddly shaped, I think you probably mean a 27 inch inside leg! ;)

BTW - you don't just have the Peak District on your doorstep - there is excellent mountain biking in this neck of the woods too. For example, check out the Mary Towneley Loop.

You can hop on a train with your bike at Manchester Victoria and get off anywhere between Smithy Bridge and Mytholmroyd and be only a mile or two from some great countryside for mountain biking and hill walking.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Welcome roxmo, loads of great stuff around here, we're lucky!

OP
OP
R

roxmo

yes, 27 inch is probably about right!
whistling.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hello. Have you checked out the UMBUG page at UOM and the regular First Wednesday of the Month rides ? Free Breakfast ?

Keep an eye out on the Informal rides section for rides around Manchester.

Hmm any preferences on bike type - if you plan commuting, a full on MTB is a bit hard work, but you'll have it for weekends.

There are tonnes of MTB'ing out near Hayfield and then further over...lots of bridal ways and the backbone of the Pennine Way Bridleway.

Robroy

Regular
Hi all,

Cheers,
roxmo

There are plenty of places in the Peaks you can hire bikes

http://www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/cycling.htm

and even in Manchester

http://www.touristnetuk.com/nw/manchester/activities/cycling/index.asp

Using a hybrid bike I often get out along the tow paths and the Mersey, I have gone from Salford Quays mostly exclusively on pathways in to deepest Lancashire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Another welcome from the Manc gang :hello: Good crowd on here,no snobs....you will enjoy ! Formal rides are a must,hope to do a few more this year myself after such a good first one last year to Buxton.
Are you "local" originally ?

Top Bottom