Newbie in need of a boost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I believe that a lot of crashes are caused by riders' lack of confidence in their bike's cornering ability so they overcook a bend then freeze up or stray onto mud or gravel and crash.
That works both ways! Confidently cornering but then finding gravel all over the road round the bend ... Non-CycleChat member Kevin had exactly that problem on the recent Dales forum ride. @Sea of vapours and I found him ahead of us getting up from a crash on a gravelly bend.

My pal Bill used to race on motorbikes and bicycles so he is confident to lay the bike much further down than I am, but from time to time he gets caught out and hits the deck.

I reckon that I have a minor spill once every 5,000 miles or so but I know people who have fallen off 3 or 4 times in a month. That isn't bad luck, it is bad judgment or bad bike handling.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Perhaps you weren't wearing gloves? Whatever people's opinions on, ahem, other articles of so-called safety wear for cyclists, I think mitts/gloves are important. Skinned hands are painful, and useless until they heal.
Sound advice. The one part of your body that will ALWAYS touch tarmac in a spill are your hands.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Looking ahead in corners as well as entering wide are essential in giving a good view ahead and space to avoid potholes and gravel.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Nobody NEEDS gloves. How many of us wore them as kids when cycling?
After so many miles I find they give a little relief to weary hands and they help grip the hoods if sweaty but other than that and cold winter I do without.
I've only discovered this this summer as previously I wore them religiously but it's nice having a breeze cool my hands down and the lack of stupid tan lines on my wrists is nice :smile:

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
If your gears are skipping after the crash it's likely you have bent the derailleur hanger. Scratches on the main derailleur pivot bolt would confirm that. A good bike shop will have the gauge needed to reset it.

I believe that a lot of crashes are caused by riders' lack of confidence in their bike's cornering ability so they overcook a bend then freeze up or stray onto mud or gravel and crash. A few sessions at a race circuit taught me to trust my tyres, which can go further than you will think on a dry clean surface. I now find that I'm not afraid to lean the bike over hard to get out of trouble. At the circuit I continued pedalling round the circles faster and faster until my inside pedal contacted the tarmac, grinding a chamfer on the outer end.

No the gear playing up before any of this

Globalti

Legendary Member
Then change the outer cable at the rear derailleur. They get worn and crudded up with dirt and rust, which messes up the indexing.

Right ok I understand that but the bike is only 7 week's old so thought cable will be ok

Yes, it should be! Did you have a 6 week check over done to adjust gears?

What Vickster said. New cables stretch, gears need to bed in a bit. Most shops will do a free check up a few weeks after selling you the bike to make sure everything is smooth and adjust for the stretch. Maybe ask if the place you bought yours can do that for you.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sound advice. The one part of your body that will ALWAYS touch tarmac in a spill are your hands.
Funny I find the opposite. I've had three offs (in 5 years so not bad). Never even a scratch on my hands. Bust up elbows, hips, shoulders...but when I am on the ground I've found my hands still holding the bars

I never wear gloves or mitts unless it's very cold

Top Bottom