Newbie in need of a boost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
The 1st time out this week and last night I came off my bike nothing too bad still in one piece a few nasty grazes arm ,shoulder and hip and one that's just about taken all my top layer of skin off my palm sod's law it's my left. So with that the bandage and heavy weight dressing I can just about use it. Lucky a passing driver spotted me in a dusty bleeding heap at the side of the road and had a First aid kit so that and my knowledge and skills I soon patched myself up.

Our kit at home is more than most and once Mrs 73 (my personal nurse) got home I was soon sorted. I know stuff happen's and I will fix but it just put the icing on the cake. The ride over all was not the best my gears are playing up a bit. Rear set is jumping and the front one is hit and miss moving to the outer ring. A good clean I think for a start is needed what with the weather and dusty roads. The left lever has become lose so need's sorting. The right lever for the 2rd time in a few days has had another bashing though it's surface damage, my front fork has a nice few mark's and the bar tap has taken a right bashing so need's replacing.

I was looking at doing my 1st sportive on Saturday guess that will have to wait. As will any time on the bike for at least the rest of the week at least. Though last night was not all bad i guess still managed 20 mile.

Oh well thing's can be fixed I know just the 2rd time in a few days i've taken a tumble added the issues with the bike it's seen my honeymoon period come down with a bump. So just need a pick me up as I am feeling a bit down given my run of luck.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It must be that time of year.
I've done nothing but fall off my bike lately and even the dog swept my legs the other night as I was doing my 'Benny Hill Chase Me Chase Me' routine whilst walking her.
I think I've counted up 6 or 7 offs over the last couple months. Still not dead yet :smile:
There's always another day :smile:

Glad you're ok. Ish

bluenotebob

Veteran
It must be that time of year.

You might well be right. I fell off my bike three times in the same week last August - at the time, I put it down to a mixture of carelessness and over-confidence, but, in hindsight, I wonder if it was the heat more than anything else.

I've been a lot more careful this summer and (so far) have stayed on the bike ….

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Stuff happens, we're not superhuman or in a race so perhaps use this as a warning to rein things in a bit. Don't know the circumstances of your incidents but even the Pros' get it wrong, Adam Yates lost a win on a TdF stage the other night after slipping off on a fast downhill corner and another rider disappeared over a low wall to a big drop (not fatally high thankfully) when he overcooked it on a bend.

It could be that you are new or recently returned to cycling and are unsure of the limits. Use your recent experiences as a valuable lesson, adjust your riding (if indeed it was your fault) and carry on :okay:

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Perhaps you weren't wearing gloves? Whatever people's opinions on, ahem, other articles of so-called safety wear for cyclists, I think mitts/gloves are important. Skinned hands are painful, and useless until they heal.

Your right was not wearing any have in the past thought about getting some but in the past i've never got on with them maybe its time for a rethink.

D

Deleted member 26715

I use fingerless gloves/mitts, they were from Aldi, first pair lasted a couple of years, the next set are getting close to needing to be replaced, missed out on the Lidl sale the other week. Being an ex-motorcyclist I know how important gloves are, no matter what you tell yourself you automatically put your hands out first to break the fall.

p.s. Get well soon

Johnno260

Veteran
The falls may be due to pushing it a little as you had a sportive coming up? did you brake hard while cornering?

Failing that make sure everythings ok, check your wheels spokes etc make sure there isn't an issue that's causing some stability issues.

With hands wear gloves, I found gloves sorted some issues I was having with numb/tingling, but if you come off the gloves could save you a layer of skin.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
No i was not cornering it was up hill one i know well just ended up clipping the kerb the road at that point is a bit bumpy so who know's. As for the time before it was at traffic lights car in front set off slowly (on purpose it looked like) so I just lost my balance when i set off.

@Johnno260 you maybe partly right always had problem knowing my limits with what ever i do. Time for rethink :smile:

I check the wheels when I cleaned them at the weekend no spokes are lose or anything but will give them another look.

vickster

Legendary Member
No i was not cornering it was up hill one i know well just ended up clipping the kerb the road at that point is a bit bumpy so who know's. As for the time before it was at traffic lights car in front set off slowly (on purpose it looked like) so I just lost my balance when i set off.

@Johnno260 you maybe partly right always had problem knowing my limits with what ever i do. Time for rethink :smile:

I check the wheels when I cleaned them at the weekend no spokes are lose or anything but will give them another look.
Stay out from the kerb, it’s where the worst detritus and surface issues are typically. Even if you have cars wanting to overtake.

And don’t move off before the car in front has, same rules apply as if you were driving

Perhaps have a read of cyclecraft if new to Cycling or returning after a long break

Globalti

Legendary Member
If your gears are skipping after the crash it's likely you have bent the derailleur hanger. Scratches on the main derailleur pivot bolt would confirm that. A good bike shop will have the gauge needed to reset it.

I believe that a lot of crashes are caused by riders' lack of confidence in their bike's cornering ability so they overcook a bend then freeze up or stray onto mud or gravel and crash. A few sessions at a race circuit taught me to trust my tyres, which can go further than you will think on a dry clean surface. I now find that I'm not afraid to lean the bike over hard to get out of trouble. At the circuit I continued pedalling round the circles faster and faster until my inside pedal contacted the tarmac, grinding a chamfer on the outer end.

Alan O

Über Member
If your gears are skipping after the crash it's likely you have bent the derailleur hanger. Scratches on the main derailleur pivot bolt would confirm that. A good bike shop will have the gauge needed to reset it.

I believe that a lot of crashes are caused by riders' lack of confidence in their bike's cornering ability so they overcook a bend then freeze up or stray onto mud or gravel and crash. A few sessions at a race circuit taught me to trust my tyres, which can go further than you will think on a dry clean surface. I now find that I'm not afraid to lean the bike over hard to get out of trouble. At the circuit I continued pedalling round the circles faster and faster until my inside pedal contacted the tarmac, grinding a chamfer on the outer end.
One of the simplest pieces of advice I've ever read for cornering is to turn your head into the turn rather than looking straight ahead. Just doing that, I find I ride a better line round corners and I lean further, without consciously thinking of either.

Top Bottom