Newbie long distance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fasturtle

Hi everyone.
I am new here.
I wanted to ask for some advice about buying a bike for long distance.

at the moment I am using my dads old mountain bike. I want to get my own so I can modify it if I need to.
to start with I will only be doing short distances so my dads bike will do as I am coming from a running injury.
when I begin to get my miles up I want to start doing long distances. I am looking to ride from London to Brighton to give you an idea of distances I want to do. when I decide I am ready I will want to start touring but I think I will upgrade when that happens.

I have done lots of research but I still have no idea what to go for.

I have been looking at mountain bikes and hybrid bikes. I am not sure which would be best.
also there's tyres. 26 inch or the 700c?

I will spend most of my time riding on roads and paths. some of the cycle paths are gravel which the mountain bike had no problem with.

would the hybrid tyres be able to manage gravel paths?

the list of bikes I am looking at are:

Adventure Stratos Mens Hybrid Bike

Coyote Mirage Vx-R

BARRACUDA VELA 2

I don't want a road bike because the seating position hurts my back.

I have heard about the touring bikes but I cant afford one yet.

any advice would be great. I am looking to buy a new bike in the next few months so I am taking my time.

thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I guess you've been looking on line by the looks of your bike selection, I'd caution against that because if anything thing goes wrong you can't just run it back to the shop, plus you want advice on the correct size and you really need to throw a leg over to find out what suits.
You don't say where you are but you are sure to have a Decathlon store near to you. They sell some of the vfm bikes out there as the world's largest cycle retailer. I would think a road bike or hybrid would be the best for your needs. Id stay away from mountain bikes at that price. So your budget is around £300. Here's a roadie for starters:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc120-road-bike-grey-id_8554264.html
It needn't hurt your back with the correct fit. You have more hand positions and you can stay on the bar tops which gives a more or less upright position.
If you want to stick with flat bars this gets good reviews on here, Cycle Republic is part of Halfords:
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike-2019.html
I'm sure others will come up with suggestions.
Remember narrower tyres will be faster but less comfortable than fatter ones. Suspension fork is best avoided.
Unless you know what you are buying I'd avoid second hand.

Good luck.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
S/he says s/he doesn't want a roadbike...

Perhaps look for a second hand bike, more for your money (eBay/Gumtree/local Facebook pages)

Look at lesser known / less popular but still quality brands like Whyte, Merida, Ridgeback (you'll get more bike than with Trek/Giant/Specialized)

Something like this would be perfect (depending on sizing and so on)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/boardman-team-size-small-mint-now-£275.251377/

Don't get anything with suspension

Last edited:
OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I guess you've been looking on line by the looks of your bike selection, I'd caution against that because if anything thing goes wrong you can't just run it back to the shop, plus you want advice on the correct size and you really need to throw a leg over to find out what suits.
You don't say where you are but you are sure to have a Decathlon store near to you. They sell some of the vfm bikes out there as the world's largest cycle retailer. I would think a road bike or hybrid would be the best for your needs. Id stay away from mountain bikes at that price. So your budget is around £300. Here's a roadie for starters:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc120-road-bike-grey-id_8554264.html
If you want to stick with flat bars this gets good reviews on here, Cycle Republic is part of Halfords:
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike-2019.html
I'm sure others will come up with suggestions.
Remember narrower tyres will be faster but less comfortable than fatter ones. Suspension fork is best avoided.

Good luck.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I am near London and we do have a decathlon near by. I have been looking online. I will have a look at those thanks. My dad's bike is a bit big for me so I think trying the bike out would be a good idea.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

S/he says s/he doesn't want a roadbike...

Perhaps look for a second hand bike, more for your money (ebay/Gumtree/local Facebook pages)

Look at lesser known but still quality brands like Whyte, Merida, Ridgeback

Don't get anything with suspension
Thanks. I am a he. Slot of people don't seam to like the suspension on bikes. I will have a look.
All good stuff.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I toured Europe on an old MTB. Till it got nicked. Now I have proper bikes but they do the same thing. It was great. Wish I had slicks on it though.

Reason no. 41 NOT to get front suspension: If you go the bikepacking stylee route, with a dry bag or harness doobree on the front, unless you can lock them out (more expensive forks) you will end up sucking your luggage through the front of the bike. And ultimately picking your teeth off the road surface.

Like mentioned above, Decathalon have a good range of bikes, I
use a flat bar, but don’t be put off by drop bar bikes, they essentially
offer three hand positions, so you can ride at different heights to
suit what your doing, some drop bars have a small drop so less of
a stretch to get into them, some also flare out at an angle instead of
being straight, this makes the bars wider which adds to stability, I also
find them more comfortable, si if you want a fast tourer maybe there would be benefits
In using drops, but let me stress, it’s a personal thing and you should choose what you
like, just saying you do not need to be facing the ground to use drop bars, it’s the fit of the bike
that plays the most part, if your bike is short enough you will still be upright regardless of bar type.

Do your best to try before you buy, even try friends bike, they all feel different, and cost has
not much to do with fit, opponents get better the more you invest in them,
wheels are important too, are you a heavy weight, if so more spoke generally are better to spread
the load around the rim.

Mudguards are a must, full sized ones will keep you and anyone behind you dry, and let’s
face it, it rains a lot.

Disk brakes work much better when wet, so if your descending steep or long roads
then think about going disk, puncture resistant tyres are important too.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Thanks everyone. This is really good information. I think I trip to decathlon and maybe Halfords is in order. I have been looking at eBay as well. There are some good bikes out there.

Modern MTB used 29" wheel which is just a fat 700c. Hybrid tyres should have no problem on tracks and trails but cheaper models often have low grade tyres with unsuitable tread patterns for long distance.
Long distance bars are characterized by a selection of alt hand positions rather than by a low, stretched out racing aero tuck. You can fit bar extensions to flat bars or pick a Euro treking butterfly style bars.
Make sure the frame is equipped with threaded eyelets for rack, mudguards, water bottle.
Long distance saddle should fit your shape, provide firm support for your sit bones not the squishy bits between.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Thanks again everyone. Lots to process. I have seen some videos on YouTube. They use a thorn tour bike. A bit expensive for me at the moment but they are riding on the same kind of terrains that I would be. If I could find something a bit cheaper that would be great.
Another question.
Should I look at the old style gear shifters or the newer Rotational shifters?

Also does it make a lot of difference between 26 inch and 700c tyres?

Thanks again.

tom73

Guru
Planet x london rd would do all you want they do a flat bar one. A few are on eBay at the moment too. Good tyre clearance ,rack mounts and take mudguards. Love mine great fun on and off road quite a relax set up but still can move when you want it to.

Top Bottom