Newbie long distance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You don't need an expensive bike to tour. Basic grades of Shimano gear and wheel bits are up to the task. Avoid the cheapest discount style grade eg Microshift twist shifters.
Better twist shifters are OK but I prefer thumb levers.
26" is on the way out as a common midrange MTB wheel size. There is nothing wrong with it, but generally the biggest wheels that give best efficiency.
I prefer 700c for touring but use 26" around town.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Something that can take wider tyres if you want to ride the odd tow path or forest track.
Ability to fit a rack
Bars approx level with saddle or above.
Something that has low gearing, so either a triple or wide range cassette at the back
Gear lever type is personal preference. I like bar end shifters, and if I had a frame with the bosses I'd like down tube shifters. You nay like trigger shifters, dual control shifters etc.

Get some test rides and don't worry about what type a bike is promoted as. Just see if it fits your requirements.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Something that can take wider tyres if you want to ride the odd tow path or forest track.
Ability to fit a rack
Bars approx level with saddle or above.
Something that has low gearing, so either a triple or wide range cassette at the back
Gear lever type is personal preference. I like bar end shifters, and if I had a frame with the bosses I'd like down tube shifters. You nay like trigger shifters, dual control shifters etc.

Get some test rides and don't worry about what type a bike is promoted as. Just see if it fits your requirements.
Thanks. I have been a bit overwhelmed by all the bikes and all the options that are involved. All this information has been very helpful.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Oh and for touring, don't go for low spoke count wheels, or fancy aero spokes. Something with 32 or 36 spokes for reliability. All these things can be replaced but best to start with something suitable to your needs.

Something else to consider. You may find after riding the bike you get, that it isn't quite what you wanted for whatever reason. Even if it matches your original requirements you may find those requirements change as time goes by. So don't spend more than you are happy with for that first bike. Don't be swayed by the salesman into parting with extra cash.

It can take one or two bikes before you get a feel for which things you value and like about a bike and those which you don't.

As I said above test rides are important for ruling bikes out, as much as in. Make sure they let you go for a decent ride. Upon and down 400m of road won't cut it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What sort of mountain bike has your dad got and what size frame is it?
If it's an old rigid frame with components of reliable quality, it may need nothing more than a pair of Schwalbe Marathon tyres and a rack fitting to it. Even if it really is too big, you could buy another similar bike secondhand in a frame one size smaller and use that.
I am not a believer in buying new bikes when there are loads of secondhand ones on the market that will do the same job, or a better job, for a fraction of the cost. Both MTB's and hybrids from the 1990's and early 2000's tend to be very practical, no-nonsense bikes, and I would choose one of that era every time in preference to what is being churned out today.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

What sort of mountain bike has your dad got and what size frame is it?
If it's an old rigid frame with components of reliable quality, it may need nothing more than a pair of Schwalbe Marathon tyres and a rack fitting to it. Even if it really is too big, you could buy another similar bike secondhand in a frame one size smaller and use that.
I am not a believer in buying new bikes when there are loads of secondhand ones on the market that will do the same job, or a better job, for a fraction of the cost. Both MTB's and hybrids from the 1990's and early 2000's tend to be very practical, no-nonsense bikes, and I would choose one of that era every time in preference to what is being churned out today.

It's an old rigid MTB. It's a 21 inch frame. I am only 5.7". So it's a bit big. I have seen a cheap 19 inch which could be good. I think I might see if there are any local. Thanks.

Levo-Lon

Guru
@meta lon boardman would be the perfect size then :okay:

Be perfect

Top Bottom