Newbie long distance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

I have been using my dad's MTB for a while now. I have found that even with the bar ends I still get a sore back and wrists after the longer rides. I like the look and speed of the road bike but I think the MTB is better for me because of being able to go where I like and not really worry about it. I have been thinking about sitting position's and wondered about folding bikes. A while ago I was able to use an folding e bike. It was great but I remember feeling a little unstable on it going down hills.
So what do you guys think about folding bikes for tours and electric bikes?
Now that the mornings are getting darker I am riding less so I will have the time to save up for an e bike. Being slightly over weight I am struggling with the hills so an e bike would really help me. Any thoughts.
Thanks everyone.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ride more, get fitter, lose a bit of weight. Get lights and a reflective (not hi viz) jacket or vest for use in the dark

A CX or gravel bike will enable you to ride rougher stuff than a true road bike but also with drop bars

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Now that the mornings are getting darker I am riding less so I will have the time to save up for an e bike. Being slightly over weight I am struggling with the hills so an e bike would really help me. Any thoughts..

I wouldn't touch either with a bargepole. Small wheel folders are highly compromised in their design, and are no substitute for a large wheel bike. They can give a really horrid ride over rough surfaces and potholes that a full size bike will cope with could be enough to throw you off on a small wheeler because the wheels will drop much deeper into them.
As regards e-bikes, if you need to lose weight you need a bike that will give you a workout, not make it easier. I don't like hills and I've been riding well over 40 years. No-one except a few sick individuals actually seek out hills to climb. They are always going to be a lot of effort, they just get a bit easier if you have a reasonable level of fitness and the right gearing. Buying an e-bike is a cop out. Get the right gearing and get fitter. If you have an old MTB, you probably already have the right gearing for hills, you just need the fitness and the weight loss.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

I wouldn't touch either with a bargepole. Small wheel folders are highly compromised in their design, and are no substitute for a large wheel bike. They can give a really horrid ride over rough surfaces and potholes that a full size bike will cope with could be enough to throw you off on a small wheeler because the wheels will drop much deeper into them.
As regards e-bikes, if you need to lose weight you need a bike that will give you a workout, not make it easier. I don't like hills and I've been riding well over 40 years. No-one except a few sick individuals actually seek out hills to climb. They are always going to be a lot of effort, they just get a bit easier if you have a reasonable level of fitness and the right gearing. Buying an e-bike is a cop out. Get the right gearing and get fitter. If you have an old MTB, you probably already have the right gearing for hills, you just need the fitness and the weight loss.
Thanks. I have since read some reviews and alot of people where saying there is more maintenance on them. They also don't look that stable with bags on them. I was looking at the e bike because of my weight. But you are both right. So thanks.

icowden

Veteran

Well, I have ridden my semi-trusty Tern Joe P27 on both the London to Brighton (55 miles) and New Forest Ride 100 (59 Miles) as well as numerous 20 to 40 mile rides.

Good points - it folds up to go in the boot.
Bad points - it is heavy (16kg with accessories), the tyres are fat so increased friction, not that comfy after about 20 miles. You can get seat-post issues as a folder has a quick release seat-post - they wear out a lot quicker.

The other issue with touring is that you have to be careful where you hang storage or it won't fold. I have an Ortlieb front bag that it just about folds with. You lose all crossbar storage bar a single water bottle.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's horses for courses. Different types of machines suit different types of riding. If I'm feeling really energetic, I go out for a spin on my drop bar sports bike. Most of the time I just pootle along on a flat bar hybrid. If I fancy a ride in some woods on route, I take a 26" rigid MTB. Just going down the pub or shops can be achieved using a scruffy old 3-speed that no-one would want to steal. Rather than try to make one bike perform multiple tasks, I run multiple secondhand bikes, which allows me to choose the best bike for the job at no more cost than buying one single new bike.

rivers

How far can I go?
I have been using my dad's MTB for a while now. I have found that even with the bar ends I still get a sore back and wrists after the longer rides. I like the look and speed of the road bike but I think the MTB is better for me because of being able to go where I like and not really worry about it. I have been thinking about sitting position's and wondered about folding bikes. A while ago I was able to use an folding e bike. It was great but I remember feeling a little unstable on it going down hills.
Now that the mornings are getting darker I am riding less so I will have the time to save up for an e bike. Being slightly over weight I am struggling with the hills so an e bike would really help me. Any thoughts.
Thanks everyone.

Nothing wrong with an ebike if that's what you want. An ebike will still help to get you fit, just not as quickly. You still need to pedal. My wife has one and she loves it. And she is a fitter cyclist because of it. Last year, we were in Norway for our holiday and we hired non-ebikes for the day. She actually made it to the top of a categorised climb without stopping or complaining too much. She used to struggle to ride to the top of the hill we live on before getting her ebike.
At the end of the day, test ride a bunch of different bikes and buy the one that brings a smile to your face

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t think cheap e bikes are up to much
@fasturtle what is your actual max budget? It looked to be about £300 from your first post?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So what do you guys think about folding bikes for tours and electric bikes?/
Quite a number of people tour on Bromptons ... (Calling @Fab Foodie ). I've done a few 100 mile plus rides on mine. Basically it's just a bike - you turn the pedals and it goes along. I do get some aches after riding the B for several hours but that may just be because I don't do it so often. It's super convenient if you are combining a ride with a train journey that needs bike reservation. Just fold it up and bingo! No bike.

However you do lose a bit of the advantages of a folder once you load it with luggage - you have to take (at least some of) the luggage off to fold it up!

As for non-Brompton folding bikes, do such things exist? ;) :smile: ;)

As for electrics I have no direct experience so it would be wrong for me to comment. There's a whole separate forum for them.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
I dont ride long distance anymore, but if i wanted a bike for this, this is what i would buy....
A hybrid with 700c wheels, flat bar with bar ends fitted, triple chainring 48/38/28 and i've never needed more than 8 speed on the rear, 7 speed could suffice but make sure its freehub and not freewheel. Definitely no suspension, so get a rigid fork. Min 32+ wide tyres will give a plush ride and good for rough surfaces, you want PP, like Schwalbe Marathon or similar. Mudguards are a must have and a rack is handy. V brakes for good braking, lightness and simplicity.
You should be able to get this in your budget, either as a new discounted deal or good cond secondhand.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

I don’t think cheap e bikes are up to much
@fasturtle what is your actual max budget? It looked to be about £300 from your first post?
I had started with £300. But now I have my dad's bike I am going to wait and build it up then I will decide. I had to use some of the money to buy mudguards and tires etc for his bike so I've got to save up to replace what I spent. I am thinking it's between a gravel bike and an e bike. Not a cheap one.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had started with £300. But now I have my dad's bike I am going to wait and build it up then I will decide. I had to use some of the money to buy mudguards and tires etc for his bike so I've got to save up to replace what I spent. I am thinking it's between a gravel bike and an e bike. Not a cheap one.
But what will the budget be?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
hybrid with 700c wheels, flat bar with bar ends fitted, triple chainring 48/38/28 and i've never needed more than 8 speed on the rear, 7 speed could suffice but make sure its freehub and not freewheel. Definitely no suspension, so get a rigid fork. Min 32+ wide tyres will give a plush ride and good for rough surfaces, you want PP, like Schwalbe Marathon or similar. Mudguards are a must have and a rack is handy. .

My "best" hybrid is one of these, a 1988/89 Raleigh with a Reynolds 531 frame and pretty much all-alloy components. For a bike with a rack and mudguards, plus robust 35 mm puncture resistant Schwalbe tyres, it's actually pretty light and rides very well. Gearing is 18 speed 48/38/28 front with 6-speed 14-28 on the back. Shimano cassette (Hyperglide?) on back, although I see nothing wrong with freewheels. Pretty much 100% original factory spec, even had the original Michelin World Tour tyres when I got it but wanted more puncture protection. These are quite rare bikes, but there are plenty of similar hybrids from the late 80's and 90's that make very versatile transport and cost peanuts if you buy wisely.

Gemini 18 Vestry.jpg

Top Bottom