Newbie long distance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pswaverley

Hi I have done 4 cycle tours the last being in June where I spent 22 days on the road. In my tours I have used 2 bikes both hardtails which if you are touring with light loads are fine. But on a long tour I would go for a touring bike with the 4 panniers set up. On long tours you will pick up extra weight, you want less gear piled up on top of your panniers as possible as that means less time stripping them off to access them. Also for using trains ferries stripping loads of items of is a nightmare. I am a big fan of front suspension bikes but once heavy loads are on the susp ension is non effective so go with rigid forks. Tyres I did New Zealand's South Island on 2.35's enthusiasm got me round, the last tours have been continental 2.2's but I will run with a 2.2 touring tyre for future tours, wide enough for absorbation but heavy weights on a bike do provide good insulation against rough surfaces. I prefer flat handle bars with bars at the end really provide a comfortable position. Gears 27 minimum there should be enough to get you up most hills don't run under this you will need them. Also with tyres make sure they are properly inflated you will do a lot of damage to your wheels with extra weight on your bike and under inflated tyres. You can buy a decent touring bike on Gumtree etc Try and go for a good brand and I would recommend a steel frame, as you will gain extra weight on any tour. Touring is superb but it takes a while to get into the tour and the extra weight but once passed that it is an amazing way to get around. So a 2nd hand bike take it out do a small tour to get used to it. Remember apart from the frame all components can be changed and upgraded to suit your individual needs. Also when touring either get a dynamo for charging or carry a small solar panel. Essential for running with a tent

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

But what will the budget be?
In the short term £500-600 for a normal bike and £1000 for the e bike. But that will take a bit of time.

vickster

Legendary Member
In the short term £500-600 for a normal bike and £1000 for the e bike. But that will take a bit of time.
I guess come back and ask again when you’ve the money as new bikes, esp electric are coming out all the time and prices will go down and there’ll be a bigger second hand market so hopefully you’ll get better bang for buck

£600 is down the bottom of the prices for a new gravel bike

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

I guess come back and ask again when you’ve the money as new bikes, esp electric are coming out all the time and prices will go down and there’ll be a bigger second hand market so hopefully you’ll get better bang for buck

£600 is down the bottom of the prices for a new gravel bike
Thanks I think I will give it some time to build up my budget.

Smudge

Veteran
My "best" hybrid is one of these, a 1988/89 Raleigh with a Reynolds 531 frame and pretty much all-alloy components. For a bike with a rack and mudguards, plus robust 35 mm puncture resistant Schwalbe tyres, it's actually pretty light and rides very well. Gearing is 18 speed 48/38/28 front with 6-speed 14-28 on the back. Shimano cassette (Hyperglide?) on back, although I see nothing wrong with freewheels. Pretty much 100% original factory spec, even had the original Michelin World Tour tyres when I got it but wanted more puncture protection. These are quite rare bikes, but there are plenty of similar hybrids from the late 80's and 90's that make very versatile transport and cost peanuts if you buy wisely.

View attachment 486731

Very nice, especially with that quality frame.
I dont really have a big downer on freewheels (one of my bikes has FW) but we all know freehub is stronger and better. So i always advise getting FH over FW if buying new.

Smudge

Veteran

So your budget has now doubled.... well forget my post then, as i was talking with your £300 in mind.
As for ebikes, well that's a different ballgame altogether and £1K wont get you much, being as overpriced as they are.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Pay attention! Eyes left to the profile pic. My fold's faster than a brompton... :wahhey::dance:
That does look nice.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Why not continue to use your dads old MTB for off road tracks and buy a road bike?
This new ‘old stock’ Moda Bolero is a real bargain at £349, only 2 sizes left, XS & S, the small has a 54 cm top tube so at 5ft 7” it sounds about right. SRAM Apex gearing which is excellent, comes with mudguards and has mounts for a rear rack if you fancy some pannier bags. I’m not sure what clearance this bike has for larger sized tyres?
https://www.startfitness.co.uk/cycle/bikes/moda-bolero-alloy-apex-mens-road-bike-grey-mod67.html
More detailed info on this website; https://www.leisureoutlet.com/sale/star-buys/100482-moda-bolero-special-edition-road-bike

Last edited:
OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Thank you everyone for all your Kindness and information that you have shared. I have put my dad's bike away for the winter and I am using a exercise bike until I can get out again. After all your advice I have decided to use my dad's MTB for gravel and cycle paths and a road bike or hybrid for the road.(thanks Spiderweb) I really enjoyed the distances but felt a bit slow. So I thought a road bike would be good. If I could modify it for comfort for the long rides that would be ideal. I will let you know what I get nearer the time thanks again.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Hi everyone. Just re-read this post. A lot has happened since my last post. Got a lot of things for my dad's bike but after doing 50k on it a few times I gave up on it. I didn't save the money I needed so I went back to running again last year. But I got injured again so I am back to square one. I am going to try my dad's bike again.
I have been looking into the road bikes you guys sugested. I don't mind about the seating position now. But I am concerned about punctures. I have been riding MTB for a long time and I have only had a few punctures.i have seen a lot of videos of races where there is a lot of road bikes on the side of the road fixing their tyres. How have you guys found road bikes as far as punctures are concerned?

I am interested in speed more now than comfort. I still would like to do the London to Brighton but maybe in one day if possible. As far as budget I have to wait a while. In September I should have about £400. I am thinking my dad's bike for off road and a road bike for distance and speed. I have seen cycle cross bikes and gravel bikes but I don't know much about them. Oh and I have put some weight on. Would this effect the type of road bike I could get?
I am going to go to decathlon and Halfords to see what they have nearer the time.

What would you guys recommend for a long ride like about 100k in one day?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Punctures can be a concern. You’ll find entry level bikes are fitted ex factory with cheap tyres with poor puncture resistance. People will change them early on if they can. Otherwise you just need to be prepared.
The London to Brighton shouldn’t take more than a few hours unless you’re going very slow and taking plenty of breaks. It’s about 65 miles.
Your budget of £400 for a new road bike is fairly modest, you might be better off going secondhand.
Good luck.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

What would you guys suggest for a first road bike? I have seen some in Halfords but having never really had one before I don't know where to start.

Top Bottom