Newbie long distance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Thanks guys. It does look like a great bike. I don't think I have enough for a courier. I am looking for something a bit more local.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. It does look like a great bike. I don't think I have enough for a courier. I am looking for something a bit more local.
If your budget is £300 and the bike is £275, a courier should be covered by the £25 (give or take...bike couriering isn’t actually much)

Or the cheapest return from KGX to Peterborough is £20 on a Saturday (that’s the adult fare). Thameslink so no issue bringing bike back on train

Off to work out my sales commission for @meta lon ;)

icowden

Veteran
For London to Brighton you can use almost anything. If you want to get up Ditchling beacon, then good gearing is a must though. I did the route on a folding Tern Joe which is a bit heavy. My Brother in law did it on a Trek Dual Sport 4 which is lighter but does have front suspension (albeit with remote control).
I'd say find something that is comfy and has good gears. Very little else matters!

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed. A pal of mine did l2b on a poorly maintained Halfords Apollo MTB with suspension. It’s more of a fun ride than a taxing race in reality (but might be more enjoyable on a lighter bike)

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

London to Brighton is my goal but I am coming from a running injury. Its one of the reasons I decided to go back to riding. I had no injuries with riding and enjoyed it more. Just frustrated I got to build up slowly. My dad's bike is quite comfortable. I am thinking of using that for a while to save some more money. Thanks again everyone for all the information it has helped a lot.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

I have been looking at some road bikes. I really like the look of them. The extra hand possitions I think would be a benefit. The only thing is the gears. Most of the cheaper ones only have 14 - 16 gears. It's quite hilly where I live so I am not sure if this would be enough. This is one of the reasons why I was looking at MTB and hybrids. they have upto 24 gears. Does this make a difference?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have been looking at some road bikes. I really like the look of them. The extra hand possitions I think would be a benefit. The only thing is the gears. Most of the cheaper ones only have 14 - 16 gears. It's quite hilly where I live so I am not sure if this would be enough. This is one of the reasons why I was looking at MTB and hybrids. they have upto 24 gears. Does this make a difference?
It's not the number of gears necessarily but the gaps / ratios between them. There are plenty of roadbikes with triple chainsets too

If you want a better bike for less money, as above look for a second hand one. Used roadbike prices are generally lower in autumn and winter

You can also change the hand positions on a flat bar bike by adding bar ends

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

thanks Vickster.
if I get a road bike. can I use different tires if I need to go on gravel paths or even grass.
most of the terrain I will be on is roads or cycle paths but there might be some muddy paths. the mtb was fine with this. I had an electric bike with small wheels. the tires where road tires and the bike was sliding all over the place when I went on the thames path. this is why I ask the question because I use parts of the thames path when I ride. thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
thanks Vickster.
if I get a road bike. can I use different tires if I need to go on gravel paths or even grass.
most of the terrain I will be on is roads or cycle paths but there might be some muddy paths. the mtb was fine with this. I had an electric bike with small wheels. the tires where road tires and the bike was sliding all over the place when I went on the thames path. this is why I ask the question because I use parts of the thames path when I ride. thanks.
Yes assuming you have clearance. Most true roadbikes are limited to max 25 or 28mm tyres. Maybe less with mudguards

If you want fatter tyres and drop bars, then you’ll need to look at a bike marketed as gravel/adventure/CX or a touring bike that can take fatter tyres

A CX bike is more designed for off road and mud. Something like this (but it’ll be too big for you)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/s...mp-for-something-smaller.252002/#post-5724625

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Yes assuming you have clearance. Most true roadbikes are limited to max 25 or 28mm tyres. Maybe less with mudguards

If you want fatter tyres and drop bars, then you’ll need to look at a bike marketed as gravel/adventure/CX or a touring bike that can take fatter tyres

A CX bike is more designed for off road and mud. Something like this (but it’ll be too big for you)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/s...mp-for-something-smaller.252002/#post-5724625
thanks Vikster. A lot of great information.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's an old rigid MTB. It's a 21 inch frame. I am only 5.7". So it's a bit big. I have seen a cheap 19 inch which could be good. I think I might see if there are any local. Thanks.

21" doesn't sound that big to me unless you have unusually short legs for your height. I'm four inches taller than you and have no difficulty riding old-school 23" frame MTB's with horizontal top tubes. Sizing is not much different from riding a 23 1/2" 700c road frame or hybrid. The bottom bracket drop is about an inch and a quarter less, but the frame is half an inch less and the 26" wheels mean the axles are another half an inch closer to the ground. The net difference in standover height between a large rigid MTB and a 23 1/2" road frame is only about half an inch, if that. Scale it down to 21" and you'll find roughly the same result.
I'm a believer in riding the largest frames that will fit me, because large frames have tall head tubes which means you can achieve comfortable handlebar heights. With small frames, you might be able to get a good saddle height with a long seat post, but you cant do that much to improve the bar height if the head tube is short, which can result in an uncomfortable aggressive riding position more suited to racing, not leisure cycling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

21" doesn't sound that big to me unless you have unusually short legs for your height. I'm four inches taller than you and have no difficulty riding old-school 23" frame MTB's with horizontal top tubes. Sizing is not much different from riding a 23 1/2" 700c road frame or hybrid. The bottom bracket drop is about an inch and a quarter less, but the frame is half an inch less and the 26" wheels mean the axles are another half an inch closer to the ground. The net difference in standover height between a large rigid MTB and a 23 1/2" road frame is only about half an inch, if that. Scale it down to 21" and you'll find roughly the same result.
I'm a believer in riding the largest frames that will fit me, because large frames have tall head tubes which means you can achieve comfortable handlebar heights. With small frames, you might be able to get a good saddle height with a long seat post, but you cant do that much to improve the bar height if the head tube is short, which can result in an uncomfortable aggressive riding position more suited to racing, not leisure cycling.

When I first started using the bike it did feel to big. But having used it for a while now I have got used to it. I still have my old bike which is a 20 inch frame. The cross bar is angled more than my dad's but the seat is a lot higher. I think your right about the frame size. All these things I am thinking about. I am also liking the seating position on the mountain bike. I think I might pump out my dad's bike for a while then look at either a hybrid or another MTB.

icowden

Veteran

Depends on your attitude to hills! My trusty folder has 27 gears and I use every blinking one of them to get up a tough hill. I don't understand the gaps/ratio bit but those really low (high?) gears where you hardly go forward are really helpful on a hard hill. Just don't stop or it's impossible to get going again on the flat!!

Depends on your attitude to hills! My trusty folder has 27 gears and I use every blinking one of them to get up a tough hill. I don't understand the gaps/ratio bit but those really low (high?) gears where you hardly go forward are really helpful on a hard hill. Just don't stop or it's impossible to get going again on the flat!!
Exactly so! My old Trek 800 Sport now also has 3x9, including a bottom gear of 28x36t.
It can climb walls, but slooooowly...

Top Bottom