Newbies - what's your stance on headphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

On both my commutes and weekend training runs I have my MP3 player and headphones on.....I can hear the keyboards a rattling now.

I have the volume at a reasonable level and the headphones I use are the Neckband over-ear type (Sennheiser PMX100).
I hear every approaching vehicle and cyclists warnings (I'm not as fast a rider as a lot of you) and the music helps make the rides go quicker.

The ones I have the problem with is when I'm approaching either peds or other cyclists and either dinging my bell or shouting they don't hgear - invariably they have in-ear earphones in.

To me there's only two alternatives:
1. One of those on-bike boom-tubes whoch blasts the music out - great for chavs
2. Sheer bloody boredom on a 2-hour 30 mile run

Anyway, that's my take.

TonyEnjoyD

I don't use them: I want an uncluttered <what's the equivalent of "view" but for hearing?> of what's going on around me.

But I'm not gonna preach to anyone else about not using them: each to their own. I'm sure it's OK if you're paying enough attention.

It's just a bit worrying that the only two people who I regularly see that use the in-ear jobs don't pay any kind of attention at all, to anything. Ever. Obviously, that's not just 'cos they've got the music going, I guess they're just a bit lax generally!

ACS

Legendary Member
Personal opinion.

If you are wearing headphones and have an accident then it could be later argued that you contributed to the cause of that accident by impairing your hearing. Therefore, in the interests of personal safety I do not wear headphones while riding as it is my choice to wear a helmet and light myself up like a Christmas tree when riding in the dark.

parklaneyido

I personally don't use them. I prefer to be fully aware of the surroundings and can't be bothered with the unnessessary clutter... Each to their own though eh! :wacko:

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
rich p said:
Why are you shouting at and dinging at other cyclists?

If I'm shouting (the codgers or kids or dawdlers on bikes) it's "on your left" or something to get then to look behind them before they choose the precise miment I go to pass then jink for no earthly reason to one side.

Silly bint on a bike last week weaving all over a 7ft wide cycleway - on a mobile phone!!! Didn't even see me until about 20ft off and I'd slowed to less that 10mph

SB I see what you are saying and partially agree, but being a Health & Safety Manager part of my defense wold be that I carried out a suitable and sufficient Risk Assessment and reviewed current studies on drivers with regard to the effect of playing music whilst driving before purchasing the equipment that I use ;)

TonyEnjoyD

JamesM

I'm such a newbie that I've not got my first commuting bike. Put in the order the other day. I don't think I'll be listening to anything on my commute but I'll be aiming to keep it under an hour if at all possible. I can't see a problem with others doing it as long as it's not too loud and you're not someone to be distracted from the road by the music.

I have the in ear phones that hook on just behind the ear and have my volume up full (it's an lg phone so it's not that loud) makes journey go faster, plus it cuts the volume of the traffic so the sound of the TWM buses passes 2 inches beside me isn't that frightening anymore.

Bodhbh

Guru
Not really been tempted to yet tbh, except on very long runs. Maybe I'm easily amused but seem to keep pretty occupied just riding along.

Have sometimes thought about putting a small portable radio in the barbag in the country tho, so can still hear stuff but have a bit of background music/chit chat.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
JamesM said:
I'm such a newbie that I've not got my first commuting bike. Put in the order the other day. I don't think I'll be listening to anything on my commute but I'll be aiming to keep it under an hour if at all possible. I can't see a problem with others doing it as long as it's not too loud and you're not someone to be distracted from the road by the music.
Music ??? Why would you be listening to music ??
Surely you would be listening to positive messages, encouraging you to ride a bit harder, be alert for unexpected movements from other road users etc etc. ;)

:biggrin:

nickb

Guru
I used to plug myself in to music during my commute, but no longer do so.

TBH, it's not just safety thing; although I strongly believe it's important to use all of your senses when doing the sort of commute I do. I enjoy cycling and part of that is the whole sensory thing that goes with it.

For the same reason I never listen to music whilst skiing. Why would I need to add something to an activity that's already perfect?

gratts

I have in-ear canal headphones which would pretty much block all exterior noise even at low volumes..I'd probably have 1 earphone in, and 1 open to the road..sitting on the fence! ;)

ACS

Legendary Member
TonyEnjoyD said:
If I'm shouting (the codgers or kids or dawdlers on bikes) it's "on your left" or something to get then to look behind them before they choose the precise miment I go to pass then jink for no earthly reason to one side.

Silly bint on a bike last week weaving all over a 7ft wide cycleway - on a mobile phone!!! Didn't even see me until about 20ft off and I'd slowed to less that 10mph

SB I see what you are saying and partially agree, but being a Health & Safety Manager part of my defense wold be that I carried out a suitable and sufficient Risk Assessment and reviewed current studies on drivers with regard to the effect of playing music whilst driving before purchasing the equipment that I use ;)

TonyEnjoyD

Tony

Valid point, however, I was considering a possible argument that could be adopted in a legal environment, where a person has caused or been substantially involved in an accident involving a cyclist wearing headphones, that the cyclist was partially responsible for the incident because of sensory impairment (vicarious liability). This factor is pertinent where the injury levels to the cyclist are serious in nature and a substantial claim for damages / compensation is being considered. The big battalions of the insurance world will always wriggle and squirm to avoid paying out, why given them the ammunition to defend themselves and their client?

Top Bottom