Newbies - what's your stance on headphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
satans budgie said:
Tony

Valid point, however, I was considering a possible argument that could be adopted in a legal environment, where a person has caused or been substantially involved in an accident involving a cyclist wearing headphones, that the cyclist was partially responsible for the incident because of sensory impairment (vicarious liability). This factor is pertinent where the injury levels to the cyclist are serious in nature and a substantial claim for damages / compensation is being considered. The big battalions of the insurance world will always wriggle and squirm to avoid paying out, why given them the ammunition to defend themselves and their client?

Good legal argument but would they set a precedent?
Again my argument would be that most - if not all - drivers their radio/stereo on usually at a loud setting.

I would respectfully ask the magistrate to test my Ipod and headphones while walking about where there's traffic before making a judgement

As to liability, it's more Contributory Negligence rather than Vicarious Liability I would say.

Anyhoos - that's what I use ;)

ACS

Legendary Member
TonyEnjoyD said:
Good legal argument but would they set a precedent?
Again my argument would be that most - if not all - drivers their radio/stereo on usually at a loud setting.

I would respectfully ask the magistrate to test my Ipod and headphones while walking about where there's traffic before making a judgement

As to liability, it's more Contributory Negligence rather than Vicarious Liability I would say.

Anyhoos - that's what I use :wacko:

Excellent point and very well presented if I may be as so bold. Not being my area of expertise I will bow to your greater knowledge and I think we agree that the wearing of earphones while cycling is not recommended but it at present a personal preference.

Player

I hate to say it but i always wear my ear phones. I find it gives me drive and makes me pedle a lot harder. It also helps with the wind and ear ache. :evil:

Cyberdad

I have to admit to using in ear earphones and listening to Radio 4 during my commute.

I wouldn't say that I missed out on very much outside noise at all, and certainly hear far more than when I am on my motorcycle with a full face helmet.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Tried using headphones whilst on my commute, just doesn't work for me. Need awareness whilst cycling and just don't get that when listening to music.

MattB

I always used to have music on when cycling. I find that if im doing something I have to concentrate on, i have to have music. Be it working, driving, cycling etc...

saddlesoar

I sometimes listen to music whilst riding, but at a level so I can hear traffic. Now it is getting dark whilst riding down country lanes on the way home, the MP3 player blots out the errie noises in the undergrowth!

Slightly OT but as anyone tried riding with both hands in front of your ears (with the flat part of your hand facing direction of travel)? It totally blocks out the sound of the wind. I wonder if I could manufacture a little "wind shield" to attach to cycle helmets for a quieter ride??? Dragon's Den here we come!

I've never liked having earphones in when walking along, even, and so I've never gone for it while riding either. It's drummed into girls that walking alone at night while wearing earphones leaves you vulnerable to someone coming up behind you and snatching your bag or something, because you wouldn't hear them. I think I use my hearing quite a lot on the bike.

I also find that generally I want the music to be REALLY quiet - I have a Creative Mp3 player and only ever use the quietest volume setting. Just don't want to miss anything, obviously!

Radius

SHREDDER
I usually cycle with someone so there's not much point, but not sure I would wear earphones anyway. I have the canal ones as well, you really can't hear much. Plus I like being able to hear the faintest click of a bike from someone trying to overtake me so I can push harder to avoid slipping down the FCN rankings :biggrin:

Top Bottom