Newbies - what's your stance on headphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On my way to work, I quite often pass a bloke walking the opposite way down a bridleway .. he is wearing an ipod and reading a paper. OK, there's no cars or anything for him to step under .. but there are trees to walk into, roots to trip over, holes to stumble in, horse poo to step in and so on. He's still doing it so presumably he's not come a cropper yet.

jayce

I wear bluetooth gummy earphones all the time when i ride their linked up to my mp3 you can listen to music and hear things around you ,no cluttering wires their like little hearing aids they fit right in your ear but i can talk to people without knocking them off ,as im a lone rider i never ride with anyone i need them

montage

God Almighty
I never use them for training, but do for commutes - though I do agree that they shouldn't be worn, but commutes are just too boring otherwise!

I find that music doesnt help for training as it can force you into the wrong cadence - also while training you are far more tired, so I like to keep all my senses.

Downward

Guru
Anyone seen the new I Pod shuffle ?
Button on headphones for controlling it.
I have done 2 x commutes with I pod and as long as you have it low you can hear. To be fair the traffic is so heavy and noisy nowadays that you need it up very loud to drown out the traffic noise

col

Legendary Member
Even when out walking and listening, Im always telling my son to only have one ear plug in so he can hear too, not tried it myself, but might on long country roads?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
montage said:
I never use them for training, but do for commutes - though I do agree that they shouldn't be worn, but commutes are just too boring otherwise!

Not being funny, but how the hell can commutes be 'boring' - you are obviously not trying hard enough, or you have no traffic/or paying bugger all attention to what's going on around you... ;)

Commutes are the most dangerous times to ride - I use my hearing to tell me where traffic is.... even the slightest noise tells you a lot about motorists behind, their 'attitude' (e.g. engine and tyre roar)....

It's suicidal wearing headphones in traffic..... you'll complicate matters no end if you get knocked off...oh and believe me, the third party will try and wiggle out.....

Downward

Guru
fossyant said:
Not being funny, but how the hell can commutes be 'boring' - you are obviously not trying hard enough, or you have no traffic/or paying bugger all attention to what's going on around you... ;)

Commutes are the most dangerous times to ride - I use my hearing to tell me where traffic is.... even the slightest noise tells you a lot about motorists behind, their 'attitude' (e.g. engine and tyre roar)....

It's suicidal wearing headphones in traffic..... you'll complicate matters no end if you get knocked off...oh and believe me, the third party will try and wiggle out.....

You can hear all the traffic and car noises with headphones in to be fair - At a certain speed the wind noise drowns out the music anyway. I only use it on the way to work which is uphiill.

montage

God Almighty
fossyant said:

Well I just don't find the roads interesting, and constantly passed by cars - I can hear everything around me. Unless on cycle paths I pop one/both earphones down. Yes it is wrong...but commuting isn't that great in the morning (nice on the way back to treat it as a TT) and looking at my ipod makes me more willing to cycle. I am a fair weather commuter tbh - but I train in all weather.

Bman

Guru
I admit. I used to :thumbsup:

However, I only used ever used one earbud, and the volume low.

Now I prefer the increace in awareness and perception.

mr Mag00

rising member
i dont commute.
i ride on quiet country roads most of the time and i am very aware of what is going on around me. i regularly check over my shoulder as i would in a rear view mirror so very unlikely to be surprised by something passing me i didnt know was there. there are never so loud to block out ambient sounds.
if i am going for an all out session and i really concentrating on my breathing pace or spriints etc i will not use them, but on a long slow steady i will, i enjoy the company.
i figure if something is going to run me over from behind, headphones wont make a single difference as long as i dont ride in a way that puts me in danger eg wobbling out into the carriagway.

mickwood

I use headphones, I whack on my spanish language course - exercise my mind AND body at the same time...brilliant!
I only have it at a level where I can hear other road users and have never had a problem at all so far?

Top Bottom