Newbies - what's your stance on headphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
Personally I never find cycling that boring...
Same here. I'm never bored, even on all day solo rides along roads that I know well. There is always something to look at, hear or smell.

Perhaps it is an age thing, as Downward says. A seagull has twice the attention span of today's teenager.

just4fun

i sometimes wear headphones but i will keep the volume very low so as nto to endanger myself.

Goffins

Hearing is an overated sense on the road, it gives you a false sense of security and certainly lends itself to me making less lifesavers.

I pretty much ALWAYS wear headphones, I find the Prodigy helps with my cadence but I don't think it hinders my safety, I still know what's going on around me and once it evened saved me from an off.

A couple of Chavs in some beat up car thought they'd swerve close and beep me on an open road at 11:00 at night, had it not been for the music dulling the piercing horn I would have jumped out of my skin.

Just makes the journey more fun as well.

jayce

Goffins said:
Hearing is an overated sense on the road, it gives you a false sense of security and certainly lends itself to me making less lifesavers.

I pretty much ALWAYS wear headphones, I find the Prodigy helps with my cadence but I don't think it hinders my safety, I still know what's going on around me and once it evened saved me from an off.

A couple of Chavs in some beat up car thought they'd swerve close and beep me on an open road at 11:00 at night, had it not been for the music dulling the piercing horn I would have jumped out of my skin.

Just makes the journey more fun as well.
i agree goffins

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Goffins said:

What rubbish, do you consider eyesight another overated sense ?

Downward

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:

Good point - I will have to put some films on my Ipod mount it on handlebars and I can watch a film too while cycling.

Thanks for the idea.

4F

Downward said:
Good point - I will have to put some films on my Ipod mount it on handlebars and I can watch a film too while cycling.

Thanks for the idea.

No problem, can I suggest "One flew over the cuckoo's nest"

Goffins

It's the only sense that matters as it's the only one that you can rely on 100% to know that you're safe.

It's why I still stand by my statement that relying on something like hearing is pretty pointless as a Mercedes or Jag at high speed is as quiet as a whistle.

+ as a Motorbike rider I can't hear anything usually over the Engine and wind noise, hell on long journeys I wear {as do others} ear plugs to keep out the wind so rubbish to you sir.

;)

4F

Who said you are relying only on hearing. Hearing along with sight are essential as are lifesaver checks.

+ as a former motorcyclist I found that a full face helmet kept the wind out of my ears :laugh: ;)

Goffins

Who said you are relying only on hearing. Hearing along with sight are essential as are lifesaver checks.

+ as a former motorcyclist I found that a full face helmet kept the wind out of my ears :laugh: ;)

Well your helmet must have been pretty spectacular or your bike was a Honda Goldwing because I've not riden a bike or worn a lid that removes wind noise.

Perhaps I should have invested inone of these:-
nasa.gif

4F

Goffins said:
Well your helmet must have been pretty spectacular or your bike was a Honda Goldwing because I've not riden a bike or worn a lid that removes wind noise.

Perhaps I should have invested inone of these:-
nasa.gif

I assume you would have to connect your I pod up first and put it on repeat before wearing one of those ;)

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
I would never wear head phones when operating a machine let alone a bike for the following reasons:-

1. Ears can act as the eyes in the back of your head; if you turn your head slightly you cut out a hell of a lot of wind noise, and you can hear approaching traffic even if it's not visible.
2. Listening to music is a massive distraction. Cycling in traffic demands 100% attention, especially when all the other road users are mentally deficient!
3. Things stuffed in your ears can affect your balance, not a good idea when you are attempting to balance on two wheels!
4. It's bloody antisocial!

Top Bottom