Newfangled 'Vinyl' Players

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The word on the street is that all the kids these days are ditching their MP3s and CDs in favour of vinyl records, which require a vinyl player in order to listen to them. I've got an old record player which i think is a compatible device, but it's knackered and crap, so i'm looking to replace it with a brand new vinyl player. I know these things are brand new so most members of the forum will be too old to offer any advice. I'm looking to spend between 100 & 200 pounds, and have been looking at this beast from Richer sounds as it looks decent enough and falls midway in my budget... but being a middle aged man I know little about modern technology, so as the old saying goes, if in doubt, ask a cyclist :smile:

surfdude

Veteran
where is the rest of it . looks like you would be only buying half of it .

accountantpete

Brexiteer
You will need a phono stage and an amplifier and preferably speakers to match the amp.

Word on the street is that vinyl might sound nice but you can get a digital sound that sounds even better and costs far less both for the player and the discs.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
A guy i worked with spent £1600 just on the stylus cartridge for his turn table.
How much better would the sound be? But then i guess its a bit like cycling, some people will always seek out marginal gains at any cost.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Mate had all Denon stuff with a very expensive stylus thingy, the sound with LP's was rather good..I used to love 45's northern soul etc but as for the purist ? I love the ease of cd ..not done the phone ipod thing as I cant be arsed.

they will be buying 29ers next..or will it be 26' ??

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have loads of old vinyl, and cds too, but I;'ve basically gone totally digital. Sound quality is fine and my phone now has more music on it than the stuff that takes up half my loft. :okay:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

As an artefact I much prefer vinyl. CDs just aren't big enough and although very convenient, MP3, FLAC, OGG etc. have zero tactility. I'm after a decent turntable to justify my collection, and I've bought two vinyl LPs this year and it would be nice to play them. I'm not looking for anything stupidly expensive and won't be spending a fortune on a stylus (my old crackly records wouldn't do it any favours)... I just want something decent for my budget.

I know there's still some vinyl lovers amongst us after the vinyl thread a while back... but i recall most of the recommended turntables were out of my price range... so any pointers, advice, things to look for in a modern 'vinyl' player would be gratefully received. :smile:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

+1 for the deck, but run mine through a Marantz

Seem to think there was a thread about vinyl recently. May be have a search?
thanks for that. My amp is a Teac... it's not bad... i only bought it because it had more than 5 inputs and i need more than five inputs for all the archaic separates i have such as a wireless, cassette deck, CD/DVD, PC, ipod, crappy old record player and even a Minidisc... I also have an 8 Track but have no intention of plugging that in because the only 8 track cassette i have was played to death over and over again on long motorway trips in the 70s, and i have no intention of listening to Trini Lopez ever again, :eek:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
yes i was looking at that too.... it's got a lid! The model in the video has the belt beneath the turntable.. not sure it's the same model but I'd rather not have to remove the platter in order to change the speed.

You change the drive on the model in the picture by moving the belt between grooves in the pulley in the top left corner. No need to lift the plate.

Top Bottom