Newhaven/ Dieppe to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julie Clark

Hi
A friend and I are planning to cycle from Brighton to Paris via Newhaven/ Dieppe at the end of August and we're looking for advice on a good route over 4 days (the less hills the better). Also recommendations on good places to stay, visit and whether we need to book in advance etc as this is our first expedition.
Would really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Brains

Legendary Member
look up the route verte. it's a disused railway line that runs from Le havre to Paris.

john xyz

Its never pointed out, but there is NO cycle track all the way from the coast to Paris. Avenue Verte is a track 10 mile from coast inland of Dieppe, then about 10 miles i believe from outskirts into Paris. Rest of the time its on (quiet i believe) roads.
Why ther is such a rumour that its all path i have no idea. Probably from the press/news...?

OP
OP
J

Julie Clark

Thanks for the advice. I've found variations on the Dieppe to Paris route and am looking for the shortest and less hilly if that's possible and have heard the easiest/ safest way into Paris in via north east of the city?

john xyz

We go on Sunday and have been looking at some possibilities. Believe there is a canal path from the NE, but - although longer, the Donald Hirsch (google it) route looks better....from the West. Comes in via Versailles and Bois de Boulogne (where we'll camp) on lots of paths to within a mile of Eiffel Tower..

OP
OP
J

Julie Clark

Would anyone recommend any other cycle maps?

john xyz

I asked this question.. look at the thread (under touring) What Maps For France, from a couple of weeks ago. All the regular guys gave their opinions. I got so confused by it all that i'm just photocopying pages from an old road atlas... 1:200000, so it shows all the roads.

OP
OP
J

Julie Clark

Hahah I was told it was really straightforward but it doesn't seem to be so as there are different routes you can take. Sounds like it's a well cycled and popular route though.

john xyz

The hills are French, so that makes them ok in my book! AND what goes up must come down... We're going from Calais, so dont encounter the 'route verte'. Heading south on the minorist of minor roads via Amiens - my son (14) wants to explore here for some reason. I'm happy with that for a breather.
Hoping the rain will mainly lay off - we're wild camping. I'll take lots of pics and put them on Facebook if you're intrerested, pics are too big to go on here. I'll do a diary on here though upon our return. TGV booked from Paris back to Calais. Looking forward to it, also slightly aprehensive at all the unknowns that await us!!

StuartG

slower but further
Avenue Verte is 40 km of a 140km journey between Dieppe and Paris. Done it twice and its ideal start if you have not cycled abroad before. That's its main virtue. Its really orientated at the family cyclist on a sit up and beg. The frequent 'give way' signs at every passing lane and path quickly become a bore.

Be brave and stick to the French D roads. Most are pretty quiet and the drivers are shockingly considerate. Take the one parallel to AV and go through Saint Saen. You can easily plot a variety of routes to Marines which will take you through the gentle rolling hills of Normandy. I never found any that required the small ring on my triple. Enjoy Marines, its a fitting finale to some of the greatest riding you can find anywhere. From there to Paris is dreadful. There's no escaping traffic, the Ile de France is not beautiful and while Paris is a beautiful compact city - its environs stretch forever in a manner that will have you longing for the Uxbridge bypass.

But don't worry about that. By then the allure of Paris will close your mind and you just focus on getting there and enjoying the city. Btw the first 5km out of Dieppe is also challenging. I recommend you study that carefully. Use streetview to familiarise your self with the roads, one way system and junctions. Its worth it. After 5km you hit beautiful country and quiet roads.
Here you just relax and enjoy the ride. You won't even trouble the map much if you basically know where you are going. I recommend the Michelin regional 1:200000 map. You will need an Ile de France map but I found the 1:200000 didn't cover the density of towns and complex roads systems adequately. I have yet to find a decent OS Landranger 1:50000 equivelent. And take a street map of Paris.

Don't forget to check whether your Paris accommodation takes bikes. Many Hotels are tiny and space is at a premium.

Finally you need to decide which ferry to take. The morning ferry gets you in mid-afternoon which won't give you a lot of time cycling before sunset. That's why DZ suggested Sain Saens as a stop. Its about 25 miles from Dieppe. That leaves around 85 miles to Paris which is quite doable on the following day. The night ferry gets you in around 3am. If you are happy with night riding its possible to make Paris in a day but you may prefer to have a break around Gisors. That would it about 60 miles day 1 and 45 miles day 2.

Top Bottom