Next Project: Marin Pine Mountain Cruiser.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What with one thing and another - weather, doing up the Scott, being crippled, etc - I've rather neglected this gem of bike. However, as-is, it is not now, and never will be, good for my wrecked spine. Also, it has cantilever brakes, which I detest, so it will get a makeover, possibly starting this coming week.
I'll remove and move on quite a few of the original parts. Saddle (with titanium rails, no less), stem, Deore XT cantis, Deore XT 8x3 shifter set, maybe the bars, Mavic wheelset complete with Spesh Fatboys in good nick. To go on: some Tektro V-brakes, much taller adjustable stem, Sora long-lever flat-bar STI combo shifters, comfier saddle, mudguards later. Have some ass-saver types for now. Wheels to go on are fairly generic but good, with 559-54 City Jet tanwalls. Keep the current 11-32 cassette, with 11-34 in reserve!
This will give me the fun of the Trek 800 Sport, but about 9lb lighter.
Any suggestions/criticisms welcome. Anyone want some of the parts, even more welcome!
Signed, BrokenBack mountain bike mauler.
Edit: this was driven into prominence in my mind by @Hebe 's Tiny Rides thread, and I'm fully invested in that now. I used to do this, just pootle around a circuit of, say, 4 miles. Not far, but I'd do it pretty often. This bike will be ideal for this.
Edit edit: having said that, this IS Devon, and said circuit has some slightly evil (by my standards) ramps in it...Hence the stupid lowest gear of 22-32 or 34!

Last edited:

Hebe

getting better all the time
This is exciting! Any pictures please?

Hebe

getting better all the time
My tiny rides in the local lanes are all being done on my steel Marin Larkspur not-a-mixte which has those swept back flat bars and an 11-51 cassette :whistle: Once I'm far enough past covid to tackle hills again that will be very useful. It's just fun to ride though, makes me smile every time.

My tiny rides in the local lanes are all being done on my steel Marin Larkspur not-a-mixte which has those swept back flat bars and an 11-51 cassette :whistle: Once I'm far enough past covid to tackle hills again that will be very useful. It's just fun to ride though, makes me smile every time.
By definition, that's your 'best bike in the world'!

All uphill

Still rolling along
@DCBassman

You mentioned a new high-rise stem for your Marin. I put one of these on mine, and like the look.

Screenshot_20230114-173413_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Job done, will put up pics later. Have kept original wheels/cassette with 1.5" City Jets, as couldn't index the gears using the intended wheels. Has the opposite mismatch of lever/shifters to the Scott. And the V-brake conversion went well. One tiny shakedown ride still finds it less comfortable than I'd like, but there are still tweaks to be done.

Top Bottom