Next weird question...Down tube shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

On my newly acquired Rourke frame I have those little square steel bits for fitting down tube shifters. I have some shifters and can fit them no probs but ideally I would like to get some bar shifters instead, making the down tube shifters defunct.

So here is my question; is there a way of removing or camoflaging the defunct metal square bits once I remove the down tube shifters?

:becool:

I just dremel'd them off. See pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7850659@N05/

Powder coating afterwards meant nobody was the wiser,

mickle

innit
Woah woah woah!!! Put down the Dremel. You'll need those braze on mounts for your cable stops.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

You'll need those braze on mounts for your cable stops.

Cable stops...erm...que?

Ok i think I understand...you mean the bits that hold the gear cables to the frame? I can see that the little square metal bits would be in a good place but how would they hold the cables?

mickle

innit
They come with your down tube shifters, screw on to your down tube shifter bosses and provide a pair of stops, with barrel adjusters, for the cable outer which runs from the bar end shifters.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I'm not sure I under stand you...My downtube shifters dont have anything like that, besides I dont want to use downtube shifters just handlebar shifters....I am probably getting this all wrong..sorry.

Are there cable stops that I can get on their own that just clip over the square bits so they look as if they were designed to be that way in the first place?

mickle

innit
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Are there cable stops that I can get on their own that just clip over the square bits so they look as if they were designed to be that way in the first place?

Sigh. Yes, that's what I'm on about. They come with bar-end shifters as part of the installation kit and convert your 'down-tube shift lever bosses' to 'bar-end shifter cable stops'.

Proto

Legendary Member
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A8068

(pic from Ribble Cycles):

CSNAGRSZ250_1_Zoom.jpg

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok I get it now..thanks...& thanks for the link Proto, I think I just ned to get them seperatly because I'm not after bar end shifters but those modern ones on the actual front brake hoods type.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Ok I get it now..thanks...& thanks for the link Proto, I think I just ned to get them seperatly because I'm not after bar end shifters but those modern ones on the actual front brake hoods type.

The bolt-on downtube stops may well come with the shifters anyway. Check when you're buying, as if not the dealer may be able to find some for you.

Top Bottom