Next year................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I just think it's time I thought about the next thing. And I do think that a five to ten minute time trial in the middle of the night in the middle of a city has the makings of a great event. Strand Underpass, anybody?
It's a bit ... parochial. Your audience is essentially people who live within ten miles of the middle of the city. The great strength of the all-night ride format (apart from the travel, which is an essential part of a good bike ride) is that finishes as the world - and particularly the train service - is waking up. Anything that finishes (or that your part in it finishes) after 10 minutes leaves you with a choice. Ride home on your own, or stick around getting colder.

I don't see that as a problem just for the middle-aged, by the way!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It's a bit ... parochial. Your audience is essentially people who live within ten miles of the middle of the city. The great strength of the all-night ride format (apart from the travel, which is an essential part of a good bike ride) is that finishes as the world - and particularly the train service - is waking up. Anything that finishes (or that your part in it finishes) after 10 minutes leaves you with a choice. Ride home on your own, or stick around getting colder.

I don't see that as a problem just for the middle-aged, by the way!
it depends how it's packaged. Which brings us back to branding. Twelve people do a time trial and ride home. A hundred people do a time trial and you've got yourself a party.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There is, unfortunately, the logistics. I'm looking forward to the IoW ride but it isn't one I'd be able to make more than once a year.
Indeed. Some of the 'regional variations' are definitely once-a-year jobs for some, not at all for others, because of issues getting to or from, and even then scheduling issues can rule them out. Suffolk's lovely but getting back from Southwold and Dunwich is a real faff. I'd like to do one of Rogerzilla's Oxford-London rides, but never yet managed to find one I can make. And breakfast in Acton...nice.

StuartG

slower but further
Can I add that I am not interested in 'winning' or otherwise trying to prove my superiority over anybody else. I don't do Sportives or even Audaxes or anything against the clock (unless it involves closing time). That's why I enjoy my club rides and the Fridays.

I agree that the FNRttC is danger of becoming repetitive and formulaic and the joy to the organiser in re-doing what he has been valiantly doing so many times before may be diminishing. So moving on and change are to be welcomed. I just hope he doesn't leave us plodders behind. I think we may represent true bicycling more than power men and women at the front. They have already so much more organised for them.

I await the grand unveiling of Friday 2 with both hope and fear ...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Well, as I have made clear..........this would be a time trial in which the times might not be recorded. See also Werner Erhard.

OK
...in order to have a game, where you are not or what you are not has got to be more important than where you are or what you are.

The real question is, where is the aliveness in the game? Where’s the happiness? And the love? And the health and the full self-expression? The purpose of living is living. Your total purpose of living is living. That’s the real purpose of life, but that’s not the goal in the game. The goal in the game is always to win. And that’s one of the things that helps you know where it is.

Goals In The Game

It is merely represented by the goal you set – your destination and time of reaching it. Some people think the goal is it: that if I get over here and I’m not over there anymore that I’ve reached it, because being over here was my goal. Actually, the goal is simply what you set up to represent it. That isn’tit, that’s just a representation, it’s the way you get to play the game. The representation is anything you agree on to represent it.

Suppose you agreed that what you wanted to be was a fireman. Then it is represented by being a fireman. Now suppose you are halfway to this goal and you say, "You know something, I don’t think I want to be a fireman. I think I’ll be a policeman." And then you say, "No, I don’t think I’ll be a policeman, I think I’ll be a chemist." At each moment, at each step, you have the opportunity to experience living. You have the opportunity to realize the purpose (not the goal) of the game which is livingness.

To master life you simply need to know what you want. There’s nothing you should want. Whatever you want is fine. There’s no intrinsically valuable importance. You don’t have to find it. It’s whatever you say it is. Wake up in the morning and make up a goal. It doesn’t make any difference. Most of you are stuck with what you say you wanted. It’s all right not to want what you wanted. You can want something new now.
:smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
10 minute time trial up a hill, riders must stay seated, no honking allowed, finishing times not recorded, making an effort generally frowned upon, 'winners' decided by jury of peers deciding who seemed to enjoy it the most... or the least... or was wearing the best hat... or the most stylish socks... or the cleanest chain... or the funkiest tyres... winner criteria not revealed until after winners announced.

I'm not sure that franchising is the right word, but the Reading and South Wales rides are just what I'd hoped for. Stephen O and Stu will doubtless sort something for the IoW (Stephen had a good turnout this year) . Marcus is growing a ride in the far, far, far North. I've hopes that the York to Hull ride will be taken over by a local.

I still think that the city centre to coast format is a winner - it's got 'beginning, middle and end', it provides a contrast and it maximises the chance of a return train. It is tough, though - the turnout for Lymington doesn't reflect the work that goes in to it, and Manchester to Morecambe, one of our best rides didn't pull in the numbers.

Although bear in mind with spin-off rides, such as the Dover one I recently did, or Stu's proposed Isle of Wight one, is that these are aimed at an existing known audience of forumites, and there's normally only up to 20 people coming along. And as such they're not done under the banner of any club, so there's no question of being covered for insurance. But that issue generally wouldn't arise as the attendees will be people who've generally done a fair amount of riding together already and they (generally!) know what they're doing and accept the risks. Trying to run a led ride, advertising in some way to get new riders, so it might possibly have a much large number of riders, means it would have to be run as a "proper" authorised ride, with somebody providing 3rd party liability insurance, for peace of mind.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Although bear in mind with spin-off rides, such as the Dover one I recently did, or Stu's proposed Isle of Wight one, is that these are aimed at an existing known audience of forumites, and there's normally only up to 20 people coming along. And as such they're not done under the banner of any club, so there's no question of being covered for insurance. But that issue generally wouldn't arise as the attendees will be people who've generally done a fair amount of riding together already and they (generally!) know what they're doing and accept the risks. Trying to run a led ride, advertising in some way to get new riders, so it might possibly have a much large number of riders, means it would have to be run as a "proper" authorised ride, with somebody providing 3rd party liability insurance, for peace of mind.
that's absolutely right. Simon B runs the Reading CTC night rides with pretty much the same back-up as The Fridays. I told Stephen O back in August that if he wanted to run the 2014 round-IOW ride under the Fridays banner, or with a local CTC group, then it would go on the FNRttC calendar - not least because he'd set the 2013 version so well. We all know Marcus - there's no reason why the Carlisle to Newcastle shouldn't be a Fridays ride - if he fancies taking it on next year.

The deciding factor is the insurance held by the people you're riding with. It's not much use the organiser having insurance if somebody around you does something stupid and you have no line of redress.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
here's another.
http://goo.gl/maps/dRQNF
freewheel down to the bottom of the hill, turn left, start at one minute intervals, up Swains Lane in anything from six minutes to three minutes. All gather on the green.

Top Bottom