Nexus 8 speed to disc brakes conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
I have a rim braked Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub , does anyone know if it possible to fit a disc brake to it , removing the nondrive side plastic bearing cover reveals splines I have found a reference on line about converting to roller brakes but is there a flange I could buy to fit a disc , the only thing on line about this suggests you can with the Alfine but not Nexus .

Is it center lock splines for a disc brake or splines for a roller brake? I think for the Alfine you get a center lock option for disc brakes.

I'm not sure but I'm guessing you only have the roller brake option. I've got a Carrera Subway 8 with Nexus 8 premium and roller brakes, apart from all weather braking I can't see them as an upgrade to rim brakes as I feel rim brakes are better in good weather.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Probably splines for roller brakes but I don't know the difference between centre lock and roller ones and I agree about rim brakes normally , i find them excellent , but this is for my winter commute bike and due to all the mud , rain and general filth I get through rims far to quickly and although I change them myself so low cost involved it is a faf to do it so I'm looking for a disc alternative , I have a disc braked derailleur set up on at the moment but I do like hub gears and have the nexus hub already , maybe I should try a roller brake .

Top Bottom