NHS nurse given a rental Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
The lease car scheme doesn't cost the taxpayer anything, other than any admin of the scheme. My wife had a Crown Car a number of years ago. She could pick anything she wanted, but paid the leasing premium straight from her salary. If she went over her mileage allowance, she paid 6p per mile. There was no money from the hospital towards the provision of the car - the vehicles were leased directly from a major garage and the lease costs paid in full by the employees who got the cars.
How are you supposed to whip up any antagonism by presenting the facts like that though?

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

It is 14 years since I retired, so, things may have changed, but, speaking as someone who worked in public sector (including NHS) and private sector, I can only say, the bit in bold is not inline with my experience (not saying Public Sector cannot waste too) ;)
Agree that all organisations public, private , charities and the religious orders etc are all prone.

I did some checking and @craigwend and @Pale Rider might be right about journalism and that it could be a lease. Also dug up a previous FOIA request and response on hire rentals and the practice does not exist.

Minders in NHS need to correct these quickly as it far too important institution and legacy for its image to tarred by little things.

Drago

Legendary Member
The lease car scheme doesn't cost the taxpayer anything, other than any admin of the scheme. My wife had a Crown Car a number of years ago. She could pick anything she wanted, but paid the leasing premium straight from her salary. If she went over her mileage allowance, she paid 6p per mile. There was no money from the hospital towards the provision of the car - the vehicles were leased directly from a major garage and the lease costs paid in full by the employees who got the cars.
All well and good, but its reported as being a hire car, not a lease car. Must be true, because it was in the Express :laugh:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Tut! Life would be so dull if journalists stuck to the facts. Pity the OP waited until page 5 before doing some checking, but then all the contributors (including me) would have had to find something else to get outraged raise their eyebrows about.

Top Bottom