NHS nurse given a rental Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Sounds like he's annoyed by it being a Mercedes ?

Possibly. But the NHS Crown Car scheme choosing vehicles like Mercedes is financially prudent, it can often be cheaper than the equivalent sized Ford. It's why it's often cheaper to lease a BMW/Mercedes than a Ford or Vauxhall.

Dolorous Edd

Possibly. But the NHS Crown Car scheme choosing vehicles like Mercedes is financially prudent, it can often be cheaper than the equivalent sized Ford. It's why it's often cheaper to lease a BMW/Mercedes than a Ford or Vauxhall.

It's cheaper to lease a BMW than a similarly sized and spec'd Ford? Really?

dodgy

Often it can be, yes. Just go to leasing.com and do some comparisons. Obviously deals vary from day to day. But in leasing, your monthly payment is paying for the depreciation of the asset (the car) and a little on top so the leasing company makes some profit. If a car depreciates less, then the leasing company can afford to price them attractively. Look on line for the average deprecation figures for a number of cars, the Mercedes will be right at the bottom usually whereas run of the mill Vauxhalls, Fords depreciate faster.

Drago

Legendary Member
couldn't agree more! no wonder the NACA bit has been sectioned off if this is the baiting that went on in there..
Theres not enough arguing in the Phantom Zone, likely because the main inhabitants are largely of the same political inclination. This is leaving them frustrated and angry, so a few are popping back here to stir the pot.

Having said that, the OP presented the matter reasonably enough and has left it to us to decide, and largely speaking it has been fairly civilised. He lit the touchpaper, but its up to the rest of us to decide whther to stand back or to grasp the firecracker tightly with our hand.

For my own part I suggest that we will never know, so are flogging a dead horse. This may be an example of NHS profligacy, and lord knows enough of it goes on, but it could equally be innocent and reasonable (the car, not the kneecapping). We can all flap our gums as much as we like but will still never know either way.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes. I sort out our work fleet and premium cars generally cheaper that mid range stuff due to depreciation. and within that things like Msport models often cheaper than poverty spec equivalent. The only issue is the personal tax can be higher for the driver given the higher list price.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I'm not sure where you're going with this. Trying to understand NHS transport logistics, or somehow trying to figure out if you should approve or not what happened?

I expect she needed a car and a car was provided. 🤷‍♂️
Don't get confused with what is acceptable practice and what is not. Nurses need to travel for work and that is a necessity. No arguments there.Many of us need to travel for work. There is the pool, mileage claims, salary sacrifice, lease arrangement etc. In this case its a hire car, a mercedes sports model. This seems odd.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

For my own part I suggest that we will never know, so are flogging a dead horse. This may be an example of NHS profligacy, and lord knows enough of it goes on, but it could equally be innocent and reasonable (the car, not the kneecapping). We can all flap our gums as much as we like but will still never know either way.
It will be good if NHS steps forward and clarifies the hire car issue as it involves taxpayers money. And NHS is struggling with finances and serving the public. These creates an unnecessary and negative image.

It could be a contracted or novated lease which is common both in private, public and in NHS which is perfectly acceptable.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Bearing in mind that Registered Nurses have to prove a that they meet a number of strict criteria not least of which is "being of good character" when they annually renew their registration with the NMC and are subject to even further scrutiny at their 3 yearly revalidation it would be hard to see how she could comply with the requirements after such a conviction.
I'm not sure this is correct. My wife was registered for nearly 40 years. She never had to prove anything. Yes there is/was a need for her to still be qualified etc. but other than signing the ocassional form and the direct debit went out nothing was ever proved.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes. I've known several people who drive top of the range BMWs or Mercs for this reason. The Merc seems to be the cheaper based purely on the number I know of...........it isn't really the indicator of work "status" - whatever that may be - people presume.

I remember once saying to my boss "He, (the person we were discussing) must be doing OK. Look at the cat he drives." My boss replied dismissively "You can get those for £200 a month."

Our company was always very careful to ensure company cars projected the right image. The directors were very conscious of the impression the "wrong" car could give.

As proven by this thread.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes. I've known several people who drive top of the range BMWs or Mercs for this reason. The Merc seems to be the cheaper based purely on the number I know of...........it isn't really the indicator of work "status" - whatever that may be - people presume.

I remember once saying to my boss "He, (the person we were discussing) must be doing OK. Look at the cat he drives." My boss replied dismissively "You can get those for £200 a month."

Our company was always very careful to ensure company cars projected the right image. The directors were very conscious of the impression the "wrong" car could give.

As proven by this thread.
Was it a fancy pedigree model :unsure:

dodgy

Don't get confused with what is acceptable practice and what is not. Nurses need to travel for work and that is a necessity. No arguments there.Many of us need to travel for work. There is the pool, mileage claims, salary sacrifice, lease arrangement etc. In this case its a hire car, a mercedes sports model. This seems odd.
How much did the car cost to hire/lease/obtain/loan/whatever?

a.twiddler

Veteran
I'm not sure this is correct. My wife was registered for nearly 40 years. She never had to prove anything. Yes there is/was a need for her to still be qualified etc. but other than signing the ocassional form and the direct debit went out nothing was ever proved.
I think you are splitting hairs here. Every year you have to sign various declarations in the knowledge that a percentage of re registrants may be called upon to provide further evidence by the NMC. The likelihood may be small, and I was never required to do so. Not quite "signing the occasional form" for the average nurse re registering in good faith, as the possibility is always there. Of course if you were the sort to cover up a murder, blagging your annual registration is small fry. The increase in scrutiny of nurses in recent years such as the introduction of 3 yearly revalidation from April 2016 makes such things more difficult too.

Drago

Legendary Member
It will be good if NHS steps forward and clarifies the hire car issue as it involves taxpayers money. And NHS is struggling with finances and serving the public. These creates an unnecessary and negative image.

It could be a contracted or novated lease which is common both in private, public and in NHS which is perfectly acceptable.
It would be nice for us as taxpayers, but the NHS are probably thinking "f*** the media, this situation is nowt to do with us and the more we deny it or try to explain anything the more we become associated with it in the minds of the public", or even "f*** 'em, the media ain't the boss of us."

Drago

Legendary Member
Did they do a proper job, aiming from behind the knee?

Cliche makes a good point. Anything fired from a shotgun inside a car, even light birdshot or rock salt, is going to over penetrate and make a helluva mess. I wonder if they gave the victim the two-pack outside the car and then used it to transport him?

Top Bottom